[SOLVED] - ISSUE - MAP - GENERATION - Partial Generation

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
vvv99
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vvv99 »

Hello All,

I have a game that i am actively playing for about 150 hours. I was exploring the outer edges of the map and find that it is not being generated. Please see this attached screen shot taken at the boundary of the generated / non-generated area.

I would like to know how to regenerate these areas so that I can continue to use this map.
screenshot-tick-32265462.png
screenshot-tick-32265462.png (2.81 MiB) Viewed 578 times
Regards!
Last edited by vvv99 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: ISSUE - MAP - GENRATION - Partial Generation

Post by boskid »

Welcome on the forum.

This is not how ungenerated chunks look like. Dark grey checkered pattern can appear on the map in 2 primary ways, both are related to using Map editor: first is if in the SurfaceEditor you click "Fill with lab tiles" but in such case you would get entire map covered with them, second is selecting the "Generate new chunks with lab tiles" directly under the "Fill with lab tiles" button and then discovering chunks that were not yet generated. It could also happen through mods or really unlikely by bit flip, but nothing here is possible to tell for sure since you did not provide a save file to look at.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: ISSUE - MAP - GENRATION - Partial Generation

Post by dog80 »

offtopic but the screenshot looks pretty nice

vvv99
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: ISSUE - MAP - GENERATION - Partial Generation

Post by vvv99 »

Thank you for the reply. I did have the "Fill with lab tiles" enabled. I went ahead and unselected it. I was using the 'Editor' mode to fine tune my blueprints. Perhaps, i did select this, without understanding the implications.

I have attached the latest 'autosave' file with this message to help debugging.

Regards,
Attachments
_autosave5.zip
(27.9 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Now you disabled the "fill with lab tiles", you need to get rid of the already generated lab tiles.
You can use this mod to delete affected chunks: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Delete-Chunk-Tool

Go to the map editor again and select the area you want to delete with the delete tool, so Factorio can regenerate it according to the now current map generation settings.
The next time you visit the deleted area, you will see it generated as ordinary dirt and plant tiles.

This tool is also helpful, if you uncovered a large part of the map out of curiosity but will never go there again, but now it bloats the savefile. Delete the chunks and the savefile will shrink. If you revisit the deleted area, it will be generated again exactly as it was before deleting. The only thing that's not there any more is any buildings you manually placed.

vvv99
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vvv99 »

Thank you, boskid & Tertius, for your help in resolving this issue and pointing in the correct direction.

Regards!,

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tertius wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:41 pm
If you revisit the deleted area, it will be generated again exactly as it was before deleting.
Sorry to nitpick, but it's more like exactly how it was when you first visited/revealed it. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Technical Help”