[1.1.87] Crash in AMD graphics driver (MR)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Divinnity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.87] Crash in AMD graphics driver (MR)

Post by Divinnity »

Hello, kind of same thing happened to me. It is the first time it happened, even though I have around 100 hours on Factorio.

I give you as much details as I can. Original post on the forum here : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=109662
The dump is the one automatically made by Factorio.
Here are some info from my AMD driver. I'm on Windows 11.
pics
Attachments
player-data.json
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(635.55 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
factorio-current.log
(28.99 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Divinnity wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:24 pm
The dump is the one automatically made by Factorio.
I do not believe this is the dump file they need right now:
Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:50 pm
A larger request: the next time this happens can you open task manager, find the factorio process in the "details" section, right click on it and select "create dump"?

It will generate a (large) dump file (It tells you where it makes it) which you'd need to compress and upload somewhere that can handle files that large. Once you do that I can forward it to AMD and they can try to figure out what's happening with it.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Divinnity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Divinnity »

I reproduced it, with the dump file compressed into a ZIP (link expires in 2 weeks) : https://www.file.io/qJta/download/DmFE7AMdMuuA
I will keep the factorio process open for now so that if you need anything else, just ask (quickly :) )
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(29.54 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I forwarded it over to AMD. I'll let you know what they say.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Divinnity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Divinnity »

Hello, It happened again, so here is another dump file : https://file.io/JTnbRiJhIYVc

I will keep sending dump files here when I found them, because I know it helps a lot to be able to compare multiples instances of the same bug.
Tell me if you need anything else.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(42.39 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Divinnity wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:17 pm
Hello, It happened again, so here is another dump file : https://file.io/JTnbRiJhIYVc
You set it to be deleted on first download.

Divinnity
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Divinnity »

Unfortunately, I don't know how to change that setting. But I uploaded it 2 times for you :
https://file.io/BwXcKCmblJbz
https://file.io/eblSODD614tn

And just in case you need a copy of the first one as well :
https://file.io/r1ZPAJNLoNyZ

I don't know where I can upload these elsewhere, maybe you have a preferred platform to do this, I can adpat.

Trace368
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Trace368 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:25 pm
I forwarded it over to AMD. I'll let you know what they say.
I know I uploaded previously and they were not what AMD needed but I got it to happen again after playing for hours so here is another crash log and memory dump hopefully it will be more helpful if it is needed

https://www.mediafire.com/file/okxmqe0w ... o.DMP/file
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(19.03 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This is the latest I got from AMD:
The DXX UMD is unloaded at the time of the issue but it doesn't necessarily tell us why.

The problem is that this is not a simple crash, but rather some state is getting corrupted prior to the crash.

To analyze this, we need to be able to repro in the lab. The d3d team leads are assigning this ticket to other sites to see if they have any luck.

Trace368
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Trace368 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:15 pm
This is the latest I got from AMD:
The DXX UMD is unloaded at the time of the issue but it doesn't necessarily tell us why.

The problem is that this is not a simple crash, but rather some state is getting corrupted prior to the crash.

To analyze this, we need to be able to repro in the lab. The d3d team leads are assigning this ticket to other sites to see if they have any luck.
So now we just gotta wait for amd to fix it i am assuming.

scoobied00
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by scoobied00 »

Came here to ask about the same issue; I'll just leave my logs here.
Attachments
(742.05 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
factorio-current.log
(80.8 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

scoobied00 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:52 pm
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
That does sound like an unrelated hardware issue.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

At this point I only have 1 idea left and it's a kind of "out there" one.

1. Find someone who is having this issue *a lot*
2. Buy their entire computer from them
3. Have them ship the computer packaged whole to AMD
4. Wait for AMD to identify the issue and tell us "You're doing it wrong; fix your code", "we fixed it in the next driver update", or "everyone having this issue has bad hardware; send an RMA request"

But this relies on the "someone" having a computer with nothing on it except the game so they don't mind selling the entire thing as-is to us.

Trace368
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Trace368 »

At this point I only have 1 idea left and it's a kind of "out there" one.

1. Find someone who is having this issue *a lot*
2. Buy their entire computer from them
3. Have them ship the computer packaged whole to AMD
4. Wait for AMD to identify the issue and tell us "You're doing it wrong; fix your code", "we fixed it in the next driver update", or "everyone having this issue has bad hardware; send an RMA request"

But this relies on the "someone" having a computer with nothing on it except the game so they don't mind selling the entire thing as-is to us.

Yeah Unfortunately I do not have a computer I can just give away The one that I have is my only one and is the only one having this issue

what I find strange that since this is happening on the latest AMD graphics driver why are they not able to reproduce it it should be affecting all computers running a AMD graphics card correct me if I am wrong.

Usually just playing the game causes the issue.

However if Someone has computer that has this issue and are willing to part with it everyone would greatly appreciate it I am sure.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Trace368 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:41 pm
Yeah Unfortunately I do not have a computer I can just give away ...
Well yes, but it wouldn't be giving away. It would be selling it for the equivalent cost to replace it plus shipping cost.

Podblast
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Podblast »

Hi all,

I'm new to the game, been playing a few weeks on latest regular version with no mods, and it seems I am getting this crash and it's (anecdotally) happening more frequently as I advance through the game. Crashing to desktop hasn't been an issue in other games.

I have tried updating the AMD drivers to latest but that didn't solve anything.

Attached my latest log, though it really does look like the same issue as described here already.
(839.94 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
factorio-current.log
(12.36 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Also attached some hardware info, in case that somehow helps. I'm sorry I don't know if my memory is configured correctly, but I did earlier run the memtest86 program from USB, and after an hour or so found no errors.
Screenshot 2024-01-05 225056.png
Screenshot 2024-01-05 225056.png (122.59 KiB) Viewed 957 times
And my AMD drivers config too, why not.
Screenshot 2024-01-05 225315.png
Screenshot 2024-01-05 225315.png (249.73 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Open to selling my PC :D but based in Australia so might not be the best logistical option! :)

I will try to perform that "dump" next time the crash occurs. If you need any other info, let me know and I'll give it a crack.

Happy new year!
Last edited by Podblast on Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Podblast
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Podblast »

Yesterday I could play and expect a crash within an hour.

Today I reinstalled Windows 11, drivers, steam, Factorio ONLY, and just had a 3 hour session with no issues.

I can’t prove it’s fixed but it’s much improved from yesterday.

Now back to fending off those pesky bugs (the alien ones)!

scur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by scur »

Just had this crash I'm pretty sure. The dump is about 650MB, so I think it's too big to upload here. Do you still need it?
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(25.57 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

booger7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by booger7 »

I was redirected here after posting a crash elsewhere. A couple days later, it crashed again, after only about 20 minutes of playing. I've attached the factorio log and save file, and the process dump (284MB) is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14UtUTg ... sp=sharing

Info in case it's relevant:
Version 1.1.101
Radeon RX6700XT
Driver version: 31.0.22023.1014
And I recently turned on Windows 11's "Auto HDR" feature. I wasn't playing any factorio before that so I don't know if it's related. If I get more crashes, I'll try turning that off and see if it changes anything
Attachments
20240203-booger7-crashlogs.zip
(5.25 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

BehemothFondler
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BehemothFondler »

Hey All,

Tldr at bottom.

So, I was having a similar problem on my computer for a while and I was getting sick of it so I decided to send AMD an email myself, and this was their response:
"...
Thank you for the email.
Based on your inquiry, I understand you are experiencing crash when playing Factorio on your computer with AMD Radeon RX 6800XT GPU.
Perform BIOS reset to default settings. Refer motherboard manual for instructions on BIOS reset.
Once after resetting the MB BIOS, please reseat the graphic card (unplug and plug the GPU on the different PCI slot if available).
Make sure you have connected the GPU to PSU using required number of power cables and not using daisy chained or shared cable.
Please take a backup of your system or create system restore point before proceeding with uninstallation of drivers.
Ensure you have installed all the Windows updates and using latest Windows build.
Please try the below suggestions and check the status.
AMD Cleanup Utility : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 (This tool will help you completely uninstall AMD graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind.)
Drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/relea ... in-23-12-1
Please disconnect the network connection and disable antivirus before running the installer file.

Download the drivers and AMD Cleanup Utility tool from above links.
Run the AMD Cleanup Utility tool and it will prompt to boot into safe mode, accept it and allow the tool to perform uninstallation of drivers and restart the system to normal mode.
Once the system boots into normal mode, run the driver installer, and follow the onscreen instructions.
Once the drivers are installed, reboot the system.

Thank you for contacting AMD.
..."

Based on this, it doesn't seem like they are even working on a fix or think its a fault with their drivers in the first place. Well I genuinely did not think that the problem was the seating of my GPU, nor due to driver clutter. However the recommendation to reset my BIOS had me scratching my head when I realized something. I am running an i5 13600k with an H670 mobo, so despite their recommendation I could not factory reset my BIOS, because if I did my motherboard wouldn't even be able to recognize my CPU. Second, I remembered that I had updated my BIOS around a year ago when I built my PC, right when the 13 series Intel CPUs came out.

So, I looked at my mobo manufacturer's site and lo and behold there had been many updates to the BIOS and updates to the Intel ME since then. Well, I updated both of them immediately and the crashing problem was basically solved. (I wish I could say completely, but unfortunately that is not the case.) Since I updated the BIOS and Intel ME, I have logged around 50 hours in Factorio and have only crashed twice (once while I was paused and once while I was playing multiplayer), a far cry from what it used to be. And, well, it's the best I'm gonna get cause it doesn't seem like AMD is willing to fix it if it is their problem.

My best guess is that there must have been something much lower in the architecture causing a cascade effect that culminates in the error we see for the AMD driver. It would make a lot of sense since I had been using basically a new BIOS version which was released just to include compatibility for 13th gen Intel and maybe it was still pretty buggy. Or maybe it doesn't make sense at all. Maybe the AMD drivers really are at fault and I'm just yapping I dunno I just like to build factories.

Tldr; I updated my BIOS and Intel ME and it has pretty much solved the problem. Though the occasional crash still persists, they are much much rarer. And, since AMD doesn't seem to recognize a fault its probably the best I'm gonna get. Hope this helps.

Return to “Technical Help”