Unable to start Demo

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
lost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Unable to start Demo

Post by lost »

factorio.exe - System Error

The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer.

I suspect the installer does not include necessary components.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Unable to start Demo

Post by Loewchen »

That's a system file, if it's missing then there is something amiss with your OS, follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... d86e0ef4ca

lost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lost »

As a developer with long Windows experience I can assure you that is not a system file, and it is not present in fresh installations of Windows.

Factorio seems to be built using MSVC compiler with an option that links to the C (or C++) runtime library dynamically. When you do that, your installer has to install the version of VCRedist corresponding to the compiler. See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/w ... -vc-redist

Alternatively the build options must be changed to link C runtime statically.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

There seems to be something very wrong because we do build with the static linking option which means you do not require that file to exist in order to run the game.

It sounds like possibly something else trying to start when starting the demo requires it. Or something went very wrong when building the demo. I've never in the last 8 years of Factorio heard anyone have this issue.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”