Steam cloud failing a lot this last week

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Steam cloud failing a lot this last week

Post by zOldBulldog »

I noticed that my Factorio games have been failing the after-game steam cloud sync a lot *this last week*, even when I leave the computer and steam on and waiting for a long time.

I know this is common in large maps (I have been playing Factorio for many years), but this is *recent* and is happening *even on a small map* that barely reached yellow science and I did no exploration on. It "feels like" there might be a Steam flake out in mid-sync but that unlike other games Factorio does not seem to retry enough and thus the cloud sync fails altogether.

Is my interpretation correct? (a minor Factorio design flaw) Or does anybody know of other reasons for the issues this last week?

And maybe a way to fix or work around it short of leaving the computer on, coming back an hour or three later, start the game, resave the map, then exit. And only then consider opening the map on another cloud-sync'ed computer.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Steam cloud failing a lot this last week

Post by Rseding91 »

As far as I know; we do not manage which save files steam syncs. All the game does is create the files in the saves folder and when the game exits steam on its own decides which files it needs to upload and manages that on its own. We never explicitly tell it to do it and have no control over it (as far as I know).

So if it is failing; then it's on steam to re-try as many times as it feels is appropriate.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Steam cloud failing a lot this last week

Post by zOldBulldog »

I will inquire in their forums next then.

I will report the results here once I find out.

Return to “Technical Help”