map download speed capped at 1MB/s?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

map download speed capped at 1MB/s?

Post by Sparkysam »

So me and a friend are playing SE, but we tried changing the upload cap to 25,000 KB/s, how many can connect etc.. but it seems hard limited to 1MB/s.
I have 500/200 he has 1Gb both ways, is there anyway to remove the 1MB limit.
We are both playing through steam.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: map download speed capped at 1MB/s?

Post by Rseding91 »

There is no built in speed cap; the game tries to go as fast as it can until it starts dropping packets and then backs off slightly.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkysam »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 pm
There is no built in speed cap; the game tries to go as fast as it can until it starts dropping packets and then backs off slightly.
Hi Rseding, thank you for replying :) please find the image below with our issue. We are not even 1/5 the way through and our map is nearly 150MB in size at that rate, every time we want to log in it takes nearly 5 minutes because of this "limit" is there a way of diagnosing this to make it go faster?
https://imgur.com/a/6sZP85j

Sparkysam
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sparkysam »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 pm
So update, friend, ran it as a headless server, fixed. By the looks of it steam has a limit of 1MB/s for download of maps, might be an issue to look into in the future. but now getting 25MB/s download = perfect

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

Thank you for sharing your solution. I wonder if steam's connection broker is placing a limit somewhere.

Edit: I took a peek just looking at steam's network interface debug stuff, the game seems to only be posting ~508B at a time. I wonder if that's related or not.

Return to “Technical Help”