[1.1.72] Incorrect mod update procedure

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
RedRafe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.72] Incorrect mod update procedure

Post by RedRafe »

Factorio v1.1.72 on MacOS

1. What did you do?
From Factorio:
0A. Playing vanilla factorio with a couple QoL mods installed (NOT Space Exploration modpacks enabled and NOT Asimov Mod installed to be clear)
1A. Went to mod page -> "update-mods" (game searched for updates and returned a list of 2 mods to update)
1B. Updated 2 mods (Space Exploration and Space Exp Graphics)
1C. Went to "install-mods"
1D. Searched and installed "Asimov Mod"
1E. Saved changes, and waited for Factorio to load again
1F. Started a new game, but there were more mods eneble than what I expected
1G. Went to check my modlist, and it was messed up (other mods were enabled that shouldn't)

2. What happened?
2A. While on step 1B., even if there were only 2 mods to update, the progress bar showed 10 mods under update (update to 100% from 1/10 to 10/10)
2B. After restarting the game and starting a new game (step 1F.), all the dependencies of Space Exploration were enabled, except for the Space Exploration and Space Exp Graphics mods themself (e.g.: AAI mods, Shield, Jetpack, Robot attrition, Informatron and such were enabled and they shouldn't)
2C. While looking at the modlist, the "Base game" was also renamed as "Asimov Mod" creating a glitch (see screenshot below)

3. What did you expect to happen instead?
3A. Expect to update mods that are shown in the "mods-to-update" tab and/or to be clear about what mods are under update
3B. Expect to update mods and NOT have them auto enabled on reload if they weren't enabled in the first place
3C. Expect the modlist tab to not have bugs in naming the mod (see screenshot below)

4. Does it happen always, once, or sometimes?
Today 17-Dec-2022 was the forst time it ever happened

5. Reproduce the issue
I'm not qite sure on how to reproduce it honestly

6. References
Asimov Mod:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Asimov
Space Exploration:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/space-exploration

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/g6VfRL4

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.72] Incorrect mod update procedure

Post by Loewchen »

New dependencies will be automatically installed or activated. If you don't think this is what happened then post a save to sync mods and steps that let you reproduce the issue.

RedRafe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RedRafe »

I don't have a savefile, this all happened outside a map, while updating mods. I know installing mods with dependencies automatically downloads all the dependencies, but that's not what happened. I was updating 2 of the mods I already had installed (but were NOT enabled), the updater startet to download those 2 + 8 other mods that I cant know which are or why, since they were not listed on the "update-mods" tab. Once the game reloaded after updating the mods, I started a new game, and suddenly realised that during the update, somehow, some of the dependencies of one of the updated mod were enabled (but not the mod itself). They should not have been enabled, I didnt enabled.

Or is it standard procedure that after JUST updating a mod that I already have installed, even if it's not enabled, all the dependencies are automatically enabled and updated?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

There's a setting to automatically enable newly installed mods. By default it is true. You can disable it if you don't want that to happen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

RedRafe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RedRafe »

Issue solved, apparently it was a TIL (updating mods will download all their dependencies regardless if they were enabled or not in the first place).
Thanks for all the replies (here & on discord). :)
The issue can be closed on my part

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

Activating added dependencies when the requesting mod is updated, but not active (already in the installed list, but deactivated) is a place where quality of life could be improved. Having added dependencies install, but active status match the requesting mod would be better in my eyes.

Return to “Technical Help”