[Resolved][1.1.61] UserVerificationMissing/peer wants a heartbeat that we don't have

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Resolved][1.1.61] UserVerificationMissing/peer wants a heartbeat that we don't have

Post by Derek82 »

Hello,
I have a headless server running on a machine in my network. This setup was running =~ one year now.
Between 2022/07/15 and 2022/07/22 something must have happened so that my setup is not working any more.

What did I do:
* 2022/07/15: Playing on said server with some friends
* 2022/07/22: Trying to connect to the server again

What happened:
* Got the following errors:
* First the client says: "Waiting for the server to save the map" but there is no progress.
* Then the client says: "Server is not responding"

What did I expect:
* Client downloads the map
* Client joins the game

What did I do to try to fix it?
* I reinstalled a new server from scratch without any mods and tried to host a fresh vanilla game. Unfortunately I got exactly the same errors.
* Go back to a working virtual machine snapshot for the server. The results were the same.
* Host the game directly with the client. That worked without any problems.

The logs from the server are in the attachments.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(36.65 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
server.txt
(25.57 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by Derek82 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.61] UserVerificationMissing/peer wants a heartbeat that we don't have

Post by Hornwitser »

See 569720.
Last edited by Hornwitser on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derek82 »

Hello Hornwitser,
Thank you for your answer but I don't think that this applies to my case. I have this issue no matter if the game is modded or not.
Attached to my comment you find the configuration and logs for a freshly installed server without mods and with a fresh save game.
Attachments
server-settings.json
(3.48 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
server-factorio-current.txt
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
my_savegame.zip
(692.66 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
mod-list.json
(85 Bytes) Downloaded 48 times
client-factorio-current.txt
(7.77 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

Since this still happens without mods what I linked to is indeed not the issue here. There is not much to go by in the log files however.

Try adding --verbose to the startup option of the server and client, as this may provide more clues in the logs. If it doesn't the next step is to do a packet capture and post it here. You can do that with Wireshark, install it and start a capture on your network interface using an apropriate packet capture filter like "udp port 34197" to avoid capturing unrelated traffic (if you're on Linux you can also use "tcpdump -w file.pcap -pi eth0 udp port 34197" to start a capture on eth0 and store it to file.pcap).

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derek82 »

Hello Hornwitser,

So I did what you asked but there seems not to be a lot more info in the logs.
Last edited by Derek82 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

Looking at the packet capture I see a normal handshake followed by a normal stream of packets from the client and only 3 packets from the server the last of which has a hole of 4 missing packets between it (see attached image).

Given that the server is complaining about the client requesting a out of window heartbeat in log that means it's receiving the packets from the client. Most likely what's happening is that somewhere on the network path from the server to your client is a device that's dropping your packets.
Attachments
Packet-capture.png
Packet-capture.png (48.93 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derek82 »

Thank you very much Hornwitser! You pointed me into the right direction.
I am hosting the game on a Hyper-V server and KB5015807 must have broken something in the network stack. After uninstalling the update everything works again! Reinstalling it reintroduces the issue. Can I mark the this topic as resolved somehow?

Edit: Other people having the same issue: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answer ... s-iss.html

sparkbugz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sparkbugz »

Derek82 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:46 pm
Thank you very much Hornwitser! You pointed me into the right direction.
I am hosting the game on a Hyper-V server and KB5015807 must have broken something in the network stack. After uninstalling the update everything works again! Reinstalling it reintroduces the issue. Can I mark the this topic as resolved somehow?

Edit: Other people having the same issue: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answer ... s-iss.html
I wanted to tell you that I made an account specifically to tell you this. This is such an obscure error and it was driving me mad. Thank you so much for providing this, it was spot on. <3

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Derek82 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:46 pm
Can I mark the this topic as resolved somehow?
You can edit the title of the thread to put [Fixed] or [Resolved] into it.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derek82 »

Hello Sparkbugz,
Happy to hear that it resolved the issue for you too. Now we just have to hope that MS fixes the issue quickly.

Hello FuryoftheStars,
Thanks for the hint!

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Resolved][1.1.61] UserVerificationMissing/peer wants a heartbeat that we don't have

Post by Derek82 »

Just a little Update: KB5016616 is also affected by the issue.

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Resolved][1.1.61] UserVerificationMissing/peer wants a heartbeat that we don't have

Post by Derek82 »

KB5017308 still has this issue.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Derek82 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 pm
KB5017308 still has this issue.
Has anyone reported it to Microsoft? They can't fix what they don't know, though it'll probably also depend on priority, what else it breaks, how many people report it, etc.

That said, it's possible this problem only exists when using Hyper-V. It may be a good idea to give some others a try, just in case, that way you can keep your Windows up-to-date. There are some free options out there (for example): I've used both before (though it has been years for VirtualBox) and both seemed to work great.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derek82 »

People reported it in the Microsoft Forums. That's all I know. Does MS read these posts? Probably not. I suspected that there are sufficient MS clients who use UDP in Hyper-V guest machines so that they'll do something about this quickly.

Yes with VMware or VirtualBox this does work. This is a Hyper-V specific issue.

Derek82
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Derek82 »

This issue seems to be fixed now.

Return to “Technical Help”