1.1.59 gives an error when i try to open the game: cannot create directory: permission denied(steam)(ubuntu)[solved]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
pooyana
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

1.1.59 gives an error when i try to open the game: cannot create directory: permission denied(steam)(ubuntu)[solved]

Post by pooyana »

I just installed the game and when I click the play button from steam it gives the following error:

filesystem error: cannot create directory: permission denied [/home/pooya/.factorio]
path1: /home/pooya/.factorio

I tried to create the folder manually but it gave the same error but for creating the .lock file.
my os is Linux-ubuntu 22.04
edit: so I fixed my problem by uninstalling the snap version of steam and installing it via terminal with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install steam
if you have any games you don't want to download again you can back them up using steam itself

zerodx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: 1.1.59 gives an error when i try to open the game: cannot create directory: permission denied(steam)(ubuntu)[solved]

Post by zerodx »

i have this error on Ubuntu 23 with Steam installed from Ubuntu Software app

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 1.1.59 gives an error when i try to open the game: cannot create directory: permission denied(steam)(ubuntu)[solved]

Post by Bilka »

Use the standalone Factorio version from factorio.com, or use a version of Steam that is not a snap (installed via apt?).

Another thread on a similar issue with some debugging steps: 105072
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

zerodx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zerodx »

Thanks a lot! Setting use-system-read-write-data-directories to false helps!

czeimke
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by czeimke »

This "error" occurs when Steam is installed directly through the application center. This happens because Steam is installed as a Snap package and cannot access your home directory due to the permission structure. You can either give Steam permission to all files or simply download and install Steam as a .dep file from Steam itself.

Return to “Technical Help”