Headless Server - aarch64

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
filipko_smileface
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Headless Server - aarch64

Post by filipko_smileface »

I have Ubuntu aarch64 (ARM)

I installed the server according to these instructions: https://gist.github.com/cbednarski/3ada27b2c401cc163dc4
But the process throws me an error. "Failed to execute command: exec format error", which is probably due to the fact that I have a different architecture than what Factorio uses.
I looked at a few discussions and they didn't help me much, as some were from 2017 or 2015. Is it possible to find the exact version for aarch64 somewhere?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Headless Server - aarch64

Post by Loewchen »

filipko_smileface wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:23 pm
Then you will not be able to run factorio unless you emulate x86-64 which will likely result in unplayable performance.

filipko_smileface
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:24 pm
filipko_smileface wrote:
Then you will not be able to run factorio unless you emulate x86-64 which will likely result in unplayable performance.

I guess I misunderstood a bit what you wrote. "will not be able to run factorio" but at the same time I will be able to play it but with "unplayable performance" ?

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

filipko_smileface wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:43 pm
Loewchen wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:24 pm
filipko_smileface wrote:

I guess I misunderstood a bit what you wrote. "will not be able to run factorio" but at the same time I will be able to play it but with "unplayable performance" ?
It's either or. The second part of Loewchen's sentence has a condition: "unless you emulate x86-64". This emulation is likely to ruin performance.

The devs said they're not going to do ARM builds in the past. With Linux on ARM becoming more popular and frequent, maybe they'll change their decision, maybe they won't.

filipko_smileface
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Thank you for your answers. I just wanted to know if I can get hold of one. I hope in the future devs will add support for ARM as well.

Since my server runs primarily on ARM. And everything I use on it works nicely over ARM so just because of Factorio it wouldn't be worth changing the architecture.

I'll give emulation a try since I have a pretty good server but I think it will turn out really as you wrote.

sf34
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sf34 »

Running Factorio via docker with the QEMU_EXECVE=1 variable set in the container (needs qemu-user-static installed on system) will allow x86_64 to execute decently.

Kalixt
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kalixt »

sf34 wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:21 pm
Running Factorio via docker with the QEMU_EXECVE=1 variable set in the container (needs qemu-user-static installed on system) will allow x86_64 to execute decently.
Tried that today with Raspberry 3 with 2GB RAM and also with Raspberry 5 with 8GB RAM. Raspberry 3 is unplayable as there are movement lags every 1-2 secs, but Raspberry 5 was fine. It still lags but they are minor movement lags every 10 secs or so.

Whats strange I've been looking at htop alongside playing and nor CPU nor RAM was over 50-70%. Lags have to come from emulation layer.

Return to “Technical Help”