CPU utilization help

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

CPU utilization help

Post by Kewlhotrod »

I have an i5 4690k (4cores) overclocked to 4.7ghz@1.3v and an r9 280, the cpu load in realtemp is only 30% so im assuming this game only utilizes 2cores? when can we have an eta on you will develop for 4cores? because my factorio is basically 15fps, fairly unplayable late game.

thanks for creating such a great game btw, if devs are reading.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: CPU utilization help

Post by aka13 »

Dude, zou have either something wrong with zour setup, or an extremelz large map. It|s impossible to get such performance with factorio on that CPU unless you have a month of gameplaz in one savefile.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Read this blog about future optimizations they will implement in the 0.12 update(a few months from now)
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-82

And here is some quotes from the devs:
Kovarex wrote:
TeDeum wrote:How about better multi-threading? It seems for me even better than 20% optimization, as game could use all my 8 CPU cores and don't lag.
We are keeping this for later :)
Also it is quite logical to first optimise the core performance first.
slpwnd wrote:
cpy wrote:I wonder if main thread threading is planned, because you could build 4x ish bigger factories on quadcore cpu. :)
The original idea here was to simulate different chunks in different threads. However this is quite tricky to do properly - namely because overlaps and special cases. Another approach we have been thinking about recently is to do some "thematic" parallelization. Things like electric energy propagation, path finder, rail finding.

Also the game uses a few threads already. During the update there is the update thread, render thread, map generation thread, multiplayer socket processing thread and some more in the allegro library. So the speedup will be less than linear.

Anyway, for now we prefer to do single thread optimizations because there is better ratio of gain / work and they are less error prone.
Waste of bytes : P

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

aka13 wrote:Dude, zou have either something wrong with zour setup, or an extremelz large map. It|s impossible to get such performance with factorio on that CPU unless you have a month of gameplaz in one savefile.
Well, the word "large" is rather subjective, so i'll just link you my map lol its a older version of mine that I'm currently playing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tflpuuyrkf8b7 ... s.zip?dl=0

and thanks for the quote I guess, need to keep up with dev forum posts as they reveal quite alot it seems sometimes. but this 30-40% utilization is killing me.

EDIT - prehaps an idea of putting some of the repeatables onto the grapics card? directx12 will maybe change things in factorios development?

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Factorio is multiplatform, so not. Rather CUDA, opencl or something, but still it is easier to just write good multithreading support.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Kewlhotrod wrote:
aka13 wrote:Dude, zou have either something wrong with zour setup, or an extremelz large map. It|s impossible to get such performance with factorio on that CPU unless you have a month of gameplaz in one savefile.
Well, the word "large" is rather subjective, so i'll just link you my map lol its a older version of mine that I'm currently playing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tflpuuyrkf8b7 ... s.zip?dl=0

and thanks for the quote I guess, need to keep up with dev forum posts as they reveal quite alot it seems sometimes. but this 30-40% utilization is killing me.

EDIT - prehaps an idea of putting some of the repeatables onto the grapics card? directx12 will maybe change things in factorios development?
Holy kekels, the performance on the map is terrible. The UPS is fine, 51, quite playeble, but I get 20 fps with i7-4770K and 970 with 19% load on CPU. I play on a save half as big as yours, and have no performance issues so far. Well, I guess I take it bag, it is in the end factorios fault, not yours. I guess you have to wait for optimisations then...
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

I know right, once I disabled creatures it seems fine.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Thats a one impressive base :D

Performance tanks badly when there are several biter attacks happening and returns to more stable state later. Should be very nice base for optimization testing :D

Edit:
You could try to get some reduction in biter attacks by using this big factory to mass produce effectivity modules.
And then put them in all the stuff around the place to reduce that huge pollution cloud.

Evilness
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Evilness »

Did you enable all your cores in options? I think the default setting is 1 or 2 cores only.

Return to “Technical Help”