My UPS/FPS very slow

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
alexsimm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

My UPS/FPS very slow

Post by alexsimm »

CPU AMD Ryzen 3970/128Gb/Nvidia 3090/SSD
CPU load <8% every time
UPS/FPS slow down <30

Log, save, screenshot are here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Help me , pls.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: My UPS/FPS very slow

Post by Rseding91 »

Try disabling sync.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

alexsimm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alexsimm »

It did not help

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Looking at the screenshot showing time usage, and looking at the per-core performance of your CPU, I believe your computer is simply too slow for how much is going on in your save. Although your CPU has 32 cores, they are quite slow cores - which does not work well for gaming.

For reference, my laptop with an i7-9750H CPU (not ultra fast by any means) is able to run it at about twice the speed as your computer seems to be capable.

alexsimm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alexsimm »

I bought my computer for rendering and it copes with this task just fine.
There's a problem with games
And there are developers here, what will they say?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

alexsimm wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:35 pm
I bought my computer for rendering and it copes with this task just fine.
There's a problem with games
And there are developers here, what will they say?
I am one of the developers, so - what I already said. The issue is your CPU does not work well for games and you've run into the limit of what it can handle. Your CPU is 5 years old.

For comparison: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/50 ... pper-3970X

The latest AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU is so much faster than the threadriper you have, that with half the cores it almost beats it in overall performance while being 60% faster in single core performance.

alexsimm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alexsimm »

Yes, of course, the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X is faster, but the fact is that the game uses of my CPU resources by a maximum of 8 percent.
Why?

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

You are limited by single-core performance, because as usual, not evertyhing can be multithreaded. A lot of stuff is, but single core performance still matters.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

alexsimm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alexsimm »

This only means one thing - the game is not optimized for multi-core processors. (((

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

It's optimized for best performance overall, and to take as much advantage as possible from multiple cores, and from fast cores.
However a few faster cores contribute a lot more to performance than many slow cores.

The overwhelming majority of games benefit more from a few high speed cores than from a huge number of slower cores. Last time I checked, games benefit a LOT going from 1 to 2 cores/threads, still get significant gains going from 2 to 4, benefit marginally more going to 6 or 8, and don't gain much more going above (at constant single core/thread performance).

Memory bandwidth and latency is also a limiting factor for Factorio, probably more than the average game.

This subject has been discussed a LOT (this is the big discussion, brace yourself for a wall of text, but there are loads of small threads about this very subject) :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39893

And here a thread about comparing the performance on various hardwares.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42165
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

alexsimm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alexsimm »

I'm saying that the game cannot use all cores 100%.
This is sad.
Is there any benchmark in the factorio or a topic where there is a stage for performance testing?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Benchmarking bases and Factorio performance is a huge topic everywhere and for ages. I didn't collect links, but googling for "factorio benchmark" will get you a start for performance research in general (connected with PC hardware), and "factorio benchmark map" for map-specific factorio internal benchmarking.

About the latter: there is an internal benchmarking tool, see the --benchmark command line parameter. It's loading a given save, run it for given amount of ticks, repeated for a given amount of times, and print timing results. This way it's possible to compare different buildings that produce the same thing to see which contraption is more ups-friendly.

In general, the most common worst performance drags are:
- inserters
- assembling machines
- enemies + pollution
- mods (varies vastly, depending on what specific thing mods do, it's impact none, up to grinding halt)

Your save runs on my machine (i5-13600k with rtx 4070) with 56-57 UPS.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

alexsimm wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:56 am
I don't know any game that does (but yet again, I don't know all existing games on earth).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

alexsimm wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:56 am
This is sad.
Is there any benchmark in the factorio or a topic where there is a stage for performance testing?
Yeah, that is sad indeed, but it uses more cores, than I would expect either way, which is pretty cool.
You can compare with the benchmark command against other users here:

https://factoriobox.1au.us/results/cpus ... ec8da1e1bb
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheKillerChicken »

Cities Skylines II can use up to 64-cores/threads, but to what I have noticed with my Ryzen 9 7950x is that across all 32 logical cores, the game still performs like a cement truck drag-race compared to, let's say, Team Fortress 2, which is built on the 2007 source engine, or another game I play is Rust, but optimised for single-core performance. Developing a game for SMT support is a myth and has absolutely no, to 2% benefit. So, if Factorio was even running off of a 144core Xeon 6, it will only get 1-2% increase in performance compared to a 1-core, high-frequency processor. A threadripper should be the last processor to use for gaming as they are intended for SMT workloads, and not for gaming at all. My suggestion is get a gaming processor/ram/gpu setup as the Threadripper will crawl due to its' poor single-core performance. I also state the same for Intel's Xeon Platinum or Gold processors. Great for SMT workloads, awful for gaming.

Return to “Technical Help”