[1.1.107] Cannot copy or paste blueprint strings

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
assemberftw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.107] Cannot copy or paste blueprint strings

Post by assemberftw »

When clicking the copy button or paste button in the string exporter/importer UI nothing happens. The string isn't being copied nor pasted into or from Factorio.
One workaround I've found was to click copy, open the steam overlay web browser, paste into it, copy from it, and only then will the string appear in the clipboard, same for pasting. This obviously does not work for the non-steam release, in which case You're sorta screwed

My system is using KDE Plasma with Wayland

Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

nrothus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.107] Cannot copy or paste blueprint strings

Post by nrothus »

I am also having this issue on Arch + Wayland

Chindraba
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chindraba »

I'm getting similar results, and have done some experimenting - prodded by the info about the Steam overlay.

I'm not able to translate the results into the problem source, but perhaps they will give the devs directions to look towards.
Importing
Starting with a clipboard untouched by the game it works just fine to import strings for both map exchange and blueprints.

Once you have generated a string and copied it (click Copy or select and Ctrl+C), a map exchange string or blueprint export string, that string will be stuck in Factorio's copy of the clipboard. It can be replaced by copying a different string in the game, which is then the "stuck" string.

Attempting to paste that outside will not work. However, something is in the clipboard since if it's a string long enough to matter, Kate will pause for a moment. A map exchange string takes about 3 seconds to release Kate while a moderate BP will take several breaths. The result is still nothing pasted, just a delay much longer than expected for the length of the string.

To restore the ability to copy strings into the game I have found that using the Bash command 'xclip -selection clipboard this' (presuming 'this' is a valid file) will make that string available to the game and normal copying from anywhere else will return to working.

In all the trials I did for this there were never any hints in the log that anything had happened at all except for loading a map when I did so to access blueprints. Other than file names and exact timings they're all the same.
Exporting
I have found, based on the hint about Steam, a particularly kludgy way to make things work. This is also where I think the devs might find the answer.

Having a second install available, easy for Linux users, open both. Generate any blueprint export string in one copy and paste it into the other. Close the copy of the game used as the target, keeping the one copied from and play as normal. So long as Factorio is not closed or restarted, as in changing mods, it will continue to operate as expected, and as it always has before Wayland messed it up. All this is without a copy of Steam even loaded.

Loading Steam and using the overlay to paste into has the same results, whether it is the steam version of the game used or a stand-alone version.
Attachments
test-nonsteam.log
Log from using the Steam overlay from a non-steam version
(4.82 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
test-steam.log
Log from the Steam version
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
test-export.log
Log from importing test
(4.82 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
test-import.log
Log from exporting test
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

potens0904
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by potens0904 »

Just chiming to say I've the same problem, Arch, Wayland and Plasma6 (if it matters) The thing is I never saw it on 1.1.107 BUT with the latest update, I can't import, at all, clipboard touched or not, the only thing I can copy is from within the game itself. It sound there is a problem with Xwayland in fact, since I just discovered forcing the game to run in wayland instead of xwayland solve it !

As a reminder, to force the game to start in wayland:

Code: Select all

SDL_VIDEODRIVER="wayland" %command%
for steam or

Code: Select all

SDL_VIDEODRIVER="wayland" factorio
otherwise

Thanks @Chindraba, that's your solution that helps me to find mine (I saw you used 'xclip', which is Xorg, not wayland that gives me the clue the game was not running Wayland native)

The upside is, you're using the game in Wayland native, Wayland is good, Wayland is life... the downside is, at least on plasma 6, the overlay doesn't work anymore...

My question is, was the previous version starting in Wayland ?

@assemberftw : maybe change the title to set it as Linux and Wayland ?

EDIT: I don't understand, I'm not able to reproduce anymore, even removing the Wayland trick...

Return to “Technical Help”