Crashes on Ryzen 5 3600x

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Crashes on Ryzen 5 3600x

Post by sansprecept »

With almost 6500hrs., I really love this game but this is getting really frustrating.

Sometimes it will run for hours and sometimes it won't make the menu screen. I cant recreate it because it does not seem to relate to any activities. It happens with or without mods. In truly masochistic Factorio fashion, it seems to run better with Angel/Bob loaded. Ive tried new memory, a motherboard, power supply and HDD. I don't think (or at least don't remember) it ever crashed on my I5. I cant afford to just go replace them again. Besides everything else runs fine.

EDIT: I have already updated drivers and BIOS.

Ryzen 5 3600x
Asus b550 f gaming wifi II
64Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
RTX 2040
Attachments
factorio-dump-previous.dmp
(864.47 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(769.44 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
factorio-previous.log
(24.51 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
factorio-current.log
(33.05 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Vanilla.zip
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Crashes on Ryzen 5 3600x

Post by sansprecept »

New crash. Loaded save then crashed. Same save as earlier
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(32.78 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

Removed Power Armor Mk3

New crash log
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(26.18 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

Dropped render threads to 2.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(29.3 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Hello, I’m sorry to hear about your troubles but the issue is in fact the CPU being defective. AMD tried to patch this issue years ago with chipset drivers and bios updates but they never actually fixed it fully because the issue is some of those older Ryzen CPUs are simply defective and will execute demanding workloads incorrectly at times.

You can read this to see the strange issues found with older Ryzens so far: viewtopic.php?p=590137#p590137
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

Thank you for the reply. I've been wracking my brain for weeks on this. I guess my search terms were incorrect. I'll look into replacing the cpu. I'm just nervous about replacing more stuff.

Again, thank you. I should have used this forum sooner.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

This (actually unfixed) issue over multiple older processor generations, as well as other similar reports for other apps such as OBS Studio, made me not buy AMD CPUs, although they are cheaper and more powerful. Although I wanted to buy a new computer some years ago when AMD was way ahead of Intel CPUs, I postponed it due to these issues. I value stability over performance. A computer that has known crash risks, no matter the performance, has no value. Hopefully the current AMD generation doesn't exhibit these issues any more, but there is currently no trust in that which one is ok and which one is defective.

So I recommend you investigate how current processor generations from AMD/Intel behave and choose wisely.

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

This is a pretty early Ryzen. Whenever I do upgrades I usually spend quite a bit of time deciding what to get. It was still near the top at the time and it would last me for a good while. I'll dig into AMD's current gens and look at their AM4 offerings. Next major upgrade will be going back to Intel though. The sketchiness will always be stuck in the back of my head. At the moment though I'll have to choose another AMD. Too much has been replaced and I won't be able to justify another motherboard. Maybe the Ryzen 7's are fine. I'll start looking.

Thanks again.

d_o_n_t_understand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by d_o_n_t_understand »

sansprecept wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:45 pm
This is a pretty early Ryzen. Whenever I do upgrades I usually spend quite a bit of time deciding what to get. It was still near the top at the time and it would last me for a good while. I'll dig into AMD's current gens and look at their AM4 offerings. Next major upgrade will be going back to Intel though. The sketchiness will always be stuck in the back of my head. At the moment though I'll have to choose another AMD. Too much has been replaced and I won't be able to justify another motherboard. Maybe the Ryzen 7's are fine. I'll start looking.

Thanks again.
If you have 3600x, you have an upgrade path to 5600x or 5800x(3d) which are a significant improvement in terms of performance (especially the latter) and afaik don't have those issues.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Try a memory test.

Click start, and then type "windows memory diagnostic".

Try underclocking your RAM if there are issues.

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

I tried every combination of sticks including solo and none work.

I also tried xmp, non xmp, over and under clocking, and manually settings.

I'll try the memtest

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

Wow. Been awhile since I did a memtest. It will have to wait for the weekend. I don't think it will finish overnight

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

Figured I'd post an update since I "solved" the problem. When I bought the CPUU the bios on the motherboard weren't compatible without a bios update so I also picked up the CHEAPEST USED AMD chip I could at the time. Yep, I put a $15 Athlon 200GE in this bad boy and now Factorio runs. It doesn't run good, but it honestly doesn't run THAT bad either. At least not yet. My save file isn't exactly huge.

It kinda painful watching it boot and load programs though.

If my computer gains sentience it might be a little upset about the 200GE being paired with a 2080. Good start for a sci-fi plot.

Edit: Next paycheck I'll get one of the 5600x3d's. Thanks for all the help and suggestions ya'll.

sansprecept
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sansprecept »

This can be considered closed. I haven't had a single crash since switching to the 200GE. I appreciate all the help.

Succ_Lord
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Succ_Lord »

I am 99% sure the answer is yes, but does this also affect Ryzen 5 2600? I am experiencing similar problems. I read that the Ryzen processors have this defect in the FAQ and see that you are having issues with your 3rd gen Ryzen. I am assuming its a Ryzen thing and not a specific Gen. Am I correct in my assumption?

rwolfcastle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rwolfcastle »

This is really interesting, I've been having the exact same type of issue on my Ryzen 7900x. Sometimes I play for hours, no problem, sometimes it crashes all the time.

Return to “Technical Help”