Couldn't initialize Steam API [LINUX] [1.1.87]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
heckenfricken
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Couldn't initialize Steam API [LINUX] [1.1.87]

Post by heckenfricken »

I am trying to play online multiplayer factorio but every time I open the game I get this error.
I have tried validating the game files, reinstalling the game, installing the game on different drives, checking the logs - it says initializing steam api, and then says failed to initialize, libsteam_api.so is missing from my factorio directory and reinstalling the game does not make it appear. i do not know what to do.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Couldn't initialize Steam API [LINUX] [1.1.87]

Post by Rseding91 »

Have you tried uninstalling steam and re-installing it? We don't do anything special on startup. We just call steam_init() and if it fails something is broken with steam on the computer.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

KillingTimeItself
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Couldn't initialize Steam API [LINUX] [1.1.87]

Post by KillingTimeItself »

I've been having this issue for a little while, barring a full uninstall and reinstall of steam, it seems like its actually an issue with proton, or at least in my case it was. Leaving the force compat tool option unticked, which for some reason doesnt disable proton, it just may or may not use it depending on how steam feels. Ticking it and setting it to native runtime forces it to not run under proton. That worked.

Return to “Technical Help”