[1.1.80] All saves corrupted. "Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted."

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
MoidaOz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.80] All saves corrupted. "Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted."

Post by MoidaOz »

Hi, team.

I'm stuck home with long covid and I've been passing the hours with the Space Exploration mod. All of a sudden today when I try to load any of my 3x saves or any of the 3x autosaves I get the error: "Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted." (Note: All 3 saves are of the same game, I cycle through them each time I save.)

I tried validating files in steam, and then an uninstall and re-install, but the problem persists. I can start a new game, and save it, and that save file will load. From this trouble-shooting I assume some glitch appeared in my game which i then saved into all 3x of my saves. (So much for that safety tactic, haha.)

I've looked through the forums and as far as I can tell my only hope to recover ~250+ hours of building is to hope a lovely staff member will be able to find the issue in my save file and fix it. Or if there's any other way to fix it, that would be awesome.

I love this game, I love all your efforts, and if we manage to recover my save I suspect I will love you personally, haha. :)

Save file and log file on google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.80] All saves corrupted. "Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted."

Post by boskid »

So in this save file there is an invalid byte at position 229633206. This byte is part of InserterControlBehavior for stack-filter-inserter at a position {90.5, 1093.5} at a surface "Everglade". It says that circuitReadHandContents == true(32). I changed that byte to 0 so that inserter will not read hand content. This is the same configuration as other stack filter inserters nearby [gps=90.5,1093.5,Everglade].

Fixed save file is at https://drive.google.com/file/d/148Oa8R ... sp=sharing. As for the reason why this byte was corrupted, i have no idea so i am assuming it is 1/0 Magic.

MoidaOz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.80] All saves corrupted. "Invalid bool loaded from input file. File could be corrupted."

Post by MoidaOz »

Oh, you beautiful bloody legend! Thank you so much! I will download it soon.

So fast, too! Absolute legend.

Lova ya!

MoidaOz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MoidaOz »

I've downloaded it and tested it and it works, you absolute champion. Seriously, thanks so much.

I've made a very positive review on Steam. God knows why I hadn't already, given 800+ hours of play.

As for why it corrupted, my computer crashes every 5-20 hours of play, which I assume is something to do with my system and all the mods I put in, rather than anything wrong with the game code.

And just in case I hadn't mentioned it, THANK YOU SO DAMN MUCH! Love ya. :)

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

If your computer crashes every few gaming hours, so you have to cold restart, I recommend you investigate and fix your hardware. It's not a regular thing one has to endure. It's not a mod thing. An app like Factorio might crash, but the whole computer must not. A properly running computer doesn't crash at all with Windows 10 and 11. And this is not a best case, it's regular behavior for everyone with proper hardware. If my computer crashes every 20 hours, I would lose my sanity, a little bit every crash, and finally go berserk, so I would need to get a new computer anyway. It also produces bit rot that slowly destroys all your data.

MoidaOz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MoidaOz »

Good points! It's actually just factorio with mods that crashes, no other games or apps. I didn't explain that very well, sorry. Given how much I play it, tho (3-8 hours a day while I'm sick), I still suspect some incy little hardware issue, probably buried somewhere deep in the ram or something.

Other than the save file issue, which has only happened once in 800+ hours of play, it only ever sets me back a few minutes. And now that I know about the potential for the save file issue, I'll keep a larger series of saves that should avert further disaster. :)

MoidaOz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MoidaOz »

A small update in case it ever helps solve any issues (though, again, I suspect my setup/cosmic rays rather than a Factorio code problem):

-I had the fault again, so I reloaded from a good save, went to the location of the problem graciously supplied by Factorio forum staff aboive, and fiddled with the suspect inserter. Ultimately it was reset to the same settings, but I deleted it and re attached it and whatnot. Since then, no issues (fingers crossed). I'll come back and mention if I ever get the issue again.

Thanks again, team!

Return to “Technical Help”