[1.1.82] Cannot run Factorio from virtio-fs under Windows

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Mimos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.1.82] Cannot run Factorio from virtio-fs under Windows

Post by Mimos »

Hi,

I have a Win 10 (21H2/19044.2965) Virtual Machine on Linux with KVM/qemu and I am using virtio-fs for storing my steam library. When trying to launch Factorio I get the following error:
factorio virtio-fs.png
factorio virtio-fs.png (10.52 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Translated to english it says something like:
weakly_canonical: There is no file system detected on the disk.
Make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and the disk is not damaged.

Verifying the files with steam shows no errors. Telling steam to move them to a library on a virtual harddisk with ntfs works fine and then factorio stats, so the file contents should really be fine.

Factorio does not write anything to its logfile, otherwise I would have provided it.

I also found this thead about running factorio from a ramdisk with a similar error. I suspect my problem is related and you may not be able to fix this, but I still wanted to try :-)

Thanks,
Mimos

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.82] Cannot run Factorio from virtio-fs under Windows

Post by aka13 »

Running a native linux game, which has killer features specifically for linux, on a windows VM, can't make that up
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Mimos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mimos »

aka13 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 am
Running a native linux game, which has killer features specifically for linux, on a windows VM, can't make that up
When you say it like this it sounds pretty ridiculous, you are right. I am usually running it under Linux for multiple reasons, one of which is the better performance when using mimalloc. But I still wanted to try it in the Windows vm as well, again for multiple reasons. Here are two examples: One is to evaluate the performance of my VM, another is trying to get the keyboard illumination to run.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Why no parallel installation of Windows?

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Mimos wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:05 pm
aka13 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 am
When you say it like this it sounds pretty ridiculous, you are right. I am usually running it under Linux for multiple reasons, one of which is the better performance when using mimalloc. But I still wanted to try it in the Windows vm as well, again for multiple reasons. Here are two examples: One is to evaluate the performance of my VM, another is trying to get the keyboard illumination to run.
I know, sorry if it sounded rude :) Was more of an "hell, I am impressed you actually did that". Otherwise let's wait for a dev to look into it.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

From everything I can tell this is due to the filesystem emulation not implementing everything correctly. Factorio does not do anything special when it comes to disk access. We simply use the C++ standard library filesystem functions. You'll need to bring up the issue with whoever made virtio-fs.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”