Extremely slow download speed?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Firestronk
Inserter
Inserter

Extremely slow download speed?

Post by Firestronk »

I have been trying to download the multiplayer map that my friends are on so that I can play with them, but the download speed is always extremely slow. I download ga,es/updates in steam at around 300kb/s while I can only download the map at like 2kb/s. Is that normal?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Extremely slow download speed?

Post by Loewchen »

The game handles packet loss not too well in my experience, but if this is the cause, there is nothing to be done on your part to improve that except getting a better connection.

Xeteth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeteth »

When connecting to a multiplayer game you are downloading the map from the host, not Steam or a Factorio server or anything. As such your download speed will be limited by both your connection but more importantly the hosts upload speed. Get the person hosting to run a speed test (www.speedtest.net), if their upload speed is poor that will be the issue.

TyphoonNL
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TyphoonNL »

i can download with 2mb from my server with FTP, but if i setup factorio on the server and i want to download it the speeds are 900kb at max

Return to “Technical Help”