Updating to 0.13 fails

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Updating to 0.13 fails

Post by TheUnknown007 »

I was really psyched about the 0.13 update, so I tried updating my 0.12.35 to 0.13.0 today. It failed. Multiple times.

Summary: I have tried it a few times now, but it fails each time with the message that there is something wrong with the .exe
error message when trying to update from 0.12.35 to 0.13.0
error message when trying to update from 0.12.35 to 0.13.0
FactorioUpdateFail.png (399.31 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
So, how can I update successfully, or maybe a bit quicker, what files do I have to back up to copy my saves, campaign progress and possibly configuration settings over to a fresh install?

Info about setup:
I have two versions installed via the installer, stable (0.12.06, but the changelog is only updated to 0.12.05) and experimental (0.12.35, the one I am trying to update to 0.13.0).
The stable version won't start for a while now (error: "No such node (entity_info_label_style)"). This version shows up in my Programs and Features.
And the experimental version still works, but won't update. This version does not show up in my Programs and Features.
(Programs and Features: cursor on start, right mouse button -> Programs and Features, or Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features)

Attempts at installing:
- from the game
. - update at startup,
. - via the about menu
- Factorio (stable version) does not have a repair option in Programs and Features.
I have not tried simply downloading a new executable from the website, and I have also not tried reinstalling yet (I want to save my saves and campaign progress).

Failure:
Always the same (see image above), it fully downloads the game / update / things-it-tries-to-download but then fails before updating anything.

Also, I went and ran some tests (C:\Program Files\Factorio_Experimental\tests\run-tests-x64.bat) (because starting random batch files only makes problems better, never worse, right?) and two things happened:
On the stable version, they crashed at REPETITION 4. And on the experimental version, they all succeeded. And then the test program crashed.
Window when tests on experimental version (0.12.35) crashed
Window when tests on experimental version (0.12.35) crashed
FactorioTestCrash.PNG (44.11 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Debugging said this: Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF7898E95C4 in FactorioTest.exe: Fatal program exit requested.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Updating to 0.13 fails

Post by orzelek »

You did really a lot of troubleshooting :)

Simple solution:
Use link at start of release notes to go to factorio page and download the full package. I also needed to do that due to the error that Factorio.exe has different ocntent then expected.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

orzelek wrote:You did really a lot of troubleshooting :)

Simple solution:
Use link at start of release notes to go to factorio page and download the full package. I also needed to do that due to the error that Factorio.exe has different ocntent then expected.
Yes - a reinstall is the only way at the moment - but my fear is, that this very bug breaks the auto-updater within 0.13.
And THAT would be really annoying to say the least.

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheUnknown007 »

But I still want to know which files should copy to the fresh install in order to save my saves and campaign progress
I think I found my saves (C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\saves, they're called <name>.zip), but I don't know where my campaign progress is saved.

For future people: there is a shortcut to the saves in the main folder (C:\Program Files\Factorio).

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

TheUnknown007 wrote:But I still want to know which files should copy to the fresh install in order to save my saves and campaign progress
I think I found my saves (C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\saves, they're called <name>.zip), but I don't know where my campaign progress is saved.

For future people: there is a shortcut to the saves in the main folder (C:\Program Files\Factorio).
I think your campaign and szenario progress is saved in the player-data.json file.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

If you get the zip and overwrite into Factorio folder after deleting data directory all should be ok. Might need to delete config in config also - this will reset the options tho.

Return to “Technical Help”