[1.1.6] Connecting to server of different version gives generic error message

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
ctnightmare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.6] Connecting to server of different version gives generic error message

Post by ctnightmare »

I am getting an incorrect error message when I on version 1.1.16 attempt to connect to a server of lesser version number. When I connect from 1.0.0 to 1.1.16, I get that the versions are different but not vise versa. When I was testing this I was attempting to connect via Steam Join Game.

Reproduce: Version 1.1.16 tries to connect to version 1.0.0 server

Expected Result: Error: You have incorrect version / version incompatibility

Actual Result: Could not establish network communication with server.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.16] Incorrect Error message

Post by Loewchen »

Post the logs of server and client after a session with the issue, seem my signature.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.16] Incorrect Error message

Post by Xorimuth »

I seem to remember running into the exact same issue and being confused as to whether the server was actually working or not. (I thought that my friend had sat up a 1.1.5 server but it was actually on 1.0).
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.6] Connecting to server of different version gives generic error message

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. I looked into this and the issue is the network messages that let the game know the server has a different version have changed and so the two game versions don't know how to talk to each other anymore.

I don't know if there's any fix for this going backwards or if we even want to spend time trying to make sure it doesn't break in the future. It would be nice; but the entire network message system is built to assume it's talking with the identical version.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Minor issues”