[Twinsen] [0.17.76] Logistic network content in tooltip above health and "last user"

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Progman
Inserter
Inserter

[Twinsen] [0.17.76] Logistic network content in tooltip above health and "last user"

Post by Progman »

When you hover over an entity related to the logistic network you can see the logistic content. However, since the tooltip changes you can't see the default entity lines like "Health" or "Last user" anymore when the screen is too small. When you have the tooltip at the mouse cursor you will see the following:
tooltipLogisticOnMouse.png
tooltipLogisticOnMouse.png (470.53 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
However when the tooltip is on the side the tooltip might be too big to show anything, specially when there are a lot of different items in the network:
tooltipLogisticOnSide.png
tooltipLogisticOnSide.png (686.39 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
The "Health" and "Last user" lines used to be above the logistic network content, but now you can't see it anymore.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen] [0.17.76] Logistic network content in tooltip above health and "last user"

Post by Twinsen »

Our minimum supported resolution is 1920x1080. If you have a smaller screen you should lower the UI scale, or just "deal" with these issues.

But the huge tooltip problem is an issue we are aware of and I'm looking into ways to fix it but unfortunately it's not trivial without just removing the logistic contents from the tooltip.

Until then, I'll consider this a minor issue.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Twinsen] [0.17.76] Logistic network content in tooltip above health and "last user"

Post by TruePikachu »

Do we even still need the logistics content on the tooltip? Why not just replace it with the logistics network ID, and have players use the dedicated logistics content view to get the contents?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Players will complain that the information is not as easily accessible. But probably something like that will be done after I find an easy way to reach the network.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Twinsen wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 pm
Players will complain that the information is not as easily accessible. But probably something like that will be done after I find an easy way to reach the network.
Shift + L over a selected entity directly opens the content view with preselected network...

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

steinio wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:20 pm
Twinsen wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 pm
Shift + L over a selected entity directly opens the content view with preselected network...
How about the following:
When only a few item types are present in the logistic network, just present it as is it is right now.
Once, there are too many item types in the network, the gui will start to reach the bottom of the screen. You could detect the collision between the tooltip (below the minimap, not on the cursor) and the bottom of the screen fairly easily, I suppose. When this happens you don't present all the contents in the network, but only up to that point. Then you give some kind of place holder like [...] and then you explicitly give the hint on how to see the full network content:
"Press Shift + L while hovering over this entity to see the entire storage of this logistic network"

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Right now, my vote would be to:
  • Remove the field listing logistic network contents, in favor of a field that indicates the network ID.
  • Add a (config option controlled?) additional field for production entities, trains, logistic network entities, and electric network entities (?) which explains how to open the relevant UI.

Return to “Minor issues”