[Rseding91] [0.17.62] Result of table.deepcopy() may serialize differently by serpent.block()

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Rseding91] [0.17.62] Result of table.deepcopy() may serialize differently by serpent.block()

Post by Hornwitser »

The output of serpent.block may change if a table in the global table is copied using table.deepcopy

Steps to reproduce:
- create a table that may change with

Code: Select all

/c global.t = { item_counts = {50, 50, 50, 50, 32, [31] = 50, [32] = 50, [33] = 50, [34] = 50, [35] = 50, [36] = 50, [37] = 32} }
- save the game, exit to main menu and load the game again
- observe that the output /c game.print(serpent.block(global.t)) and /c game.print(serpent.block(table.deepcopy(global.t))) differs

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.62] Result of table.deepcopy() may serialize differently by serpent.block()

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this isn't a bug. A copy of a table is not the same as the original table.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.62] Result of table.deepcopy() may serialize differently by serpent.block()

Post by Hornwitser »

Actually, I think this is a bug. And it's trivial to desync the game without having to involve any copying of the table.

Steps to reproduce:
- Run the command in my previous post that creates global.t in a multiplayer server with nobody in
- Connect to the server
- Run /c game.print(serpent.block(global.t))
- The client desyncs
Attachments
desync-report-2019-08-06_01-45-00.zip
(2.86 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

Should probably just change this bug report title to "sparse arrays are improperly serialized", the result of #global.t.item_counts differ between the server and the client after the setup descried in my previous post.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This looks like another case of Lua treating initializer-list construction differently from table = {}, table[...] = ...

I'll look into it and see what I can find. Although i wonder what the use-case is for making a sparse-table through initializer list syntax instead of per-element syntax.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Rseding91] [0.17.62] Result of table.deepcopy() may serialize differently by serpent.block()

Post by Hornwitser »

The 5.2 reference manual says the result of #table is undefined if the table is sparse, the 5.3 reference says it may return any value which is the index of an element where the next index is nil. Serpent uses #table when determining to make it sparse or not, but after a table in global has been saved and loaded it's length may be reported differently causing serpent to output different results.

Return to “Minor issues”