Mod updating - missed base compatability check

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
inick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Mod updating - missed base compatability check

Post by inick »

Greetings.

I do believe this will become an issue if not brought to light. Specific mods are not important, but the scenario is. Please let me explain, with examples.

While the game itself can be kept running, and mods are updated separately from the main game, we have ourselves a race condition. While in the game's mod menu, and you perform an update on mods (but you haven't updated [the standalone] game yet), the mod can have a dependency to the main game past the version you still have running. Disabling that mod from loading (but no notice of that).

Example, why I am writing this. 2nd instance of this race condition hitting me.
Game version 0.17.40, still running after a mod update. Mod electric lights + has been updated and now has dependency base >= 0.17.41. After the game reloads after updating mods, I am missing electric lights+.

I am requesting that the mod updating gui will check dependencies (esp base mod?) to be valid prior to downloading and replacing the local file .zip

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod updating - missed base compatability check

Post by bobingabout »

As far as I know, it currently only checks for the existence of a mod (dependencies) and Factorio_version (0.17 vs 0.16 etc)
Others such as base >= 0.17.35 (there's been a few landmarks like this that break mod compatibility) don't get checked.

But I agree with you, I think they should.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The updates GUI doesn't do any version checks in its logic.

I could add version check logic but it needs to be thought about first. Just saying "don't show mods if they aren't compatible" doesn't work because then you never know if there's an update but you can't install it because A requires B >= some version which you don't have and B requires base >= some version you don't have. In that case you see no updates and never know you need to update to install those versions.

Overall I consider this a very minor issue since everyone should always be on the latest version of the game and game version releases aren't *meant* to be frequent.

If I think of a decent solution to this I'll implement it but for now I'm going to move it to minor issues.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

inick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by inick »

Rseding91, Agree completely it is a minor issue. I just saw the problem and thought it should be brought to light. I don't think it's reasonable for Factorio devs themselves to do all the work to check ..for example, if angel's mods are properly updated for an addon to angel's mods. I have seen the 0.16 vs 0.17 matching in the GUI, I thought (my fault!) that extending it to check subversions 0.17.40 would be easier to implement.

I'm NOT asking for a desperate fix immediately, heck no. Just calling attention to it, thinking it might be fairly easy to do.

Appreciate in immense gratitude your attention to everything.

--iNick

Return to “Minor issues”