[Rseding91] [for 0.16] [0.15.30] Destruct over ghosted concrete

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[Rseding91] [for 0.16] [0.15.30] Destruct over ghosted concrete

Post by ssilk »

IMHO this is since 0.14.

Place concrete (or similar) as ghost and now you want to remove some kind of building: The destruction planner removes in that case also the concrete-ghosts, that have not been constructed yet.
Well, I understand, why the unplaced concrete is removed in this case, but from gameplay situation it is (IMHO) so, that you place concrete to walk faster. You built it in an area, in which you walk often or has already been built up and now you want to change it.
In my opinion it's in that case the better option to behave with the ghosts as in the game: ghost tiles are only removed, if no other entities are selected.

Well, maybe it's not really a bug, more an issue. But it can be seen from another direction: as mentioned in here:
If you do similar operations, that include ghost/destruction/construction (=blueprints) it should not matter WHEN I do it!
It should not matter if I a) destruct something and then immediately place something or b) destruct, then wait 2 minutes, then place. In any case the map should look the same after that operations.
In other words: When the target is to have at some point self-building factories, then the building operations should not depend on time to wait between the single steps; When you take that as logical basic principle, then it is suddenly clear, how it should work correct.

Looking from that direction, it can be seen as bug. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.30] Destruct over ghosted concrete

Post by Philip017 »

ah yes the ghosted concrete being removed with deconstruction planner, i have seen this many times when i build my factories i replace the ghosted concrete when i remove a building.

ghosted entities are insta removed when you mine them, so when i hand mine a building or other entity that is placed on the ghosted concrete my click is long enough to also remove the ghost under it, imo normal operation.

if i remove the building via deconstruction planner then it also selects the ghosted concrete below the building, easily visible if you use the deconstruction planner on one edge of the building and then mine it by hand on another edge. if you look carefully you will see that the deconstruction planner is also selecting the concrete ghost before you release the mouse button to confirm your deletion.

this has been of mild anoyance, but not really game breaking and has been around a very long time.

a simple work around to this is to black list the tile ghost on your deconstruction planner, no more removing the ghosted concrete.

now if the concrete is not a ghost and has already been placed then you can not hand mine the concrete unless you have concrete/brick in your hand.

i believe the request is to have the functionality to the ghosted concrete/brick to be the same as that of the already placed concrete, no more mining the ghost.
but that brings up the fact you will have to have concrete/brick in your hand again to remove the ghost, or deconstruct the building before you can remove the ghost, or use a filter. making it a little more complicated.
but then again who removes the concrete after it's been placed anyway?

could also be that the black list filter for removing ghosted concrete be on if other buildings are selected as well.

this is more of a feature request than a bug report imo. and personally with a simple filter to the deconstruction planner, it makes it unnecessary.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, as said, it's an issue.

But when you watch it from the paradigm, that your blueprint/deconstructions should happen, no matter how much time they take (only the players order influence, what's coming out in the end), then it's a bug.
(Of course I know, that there is currently no such paradigm, but that is IMHO also a bug :) )

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

so an exception to ghosted tiles should be in effect instead of treating all ghosts as equal when using the deconstruction planner, tile ghosts get excluded unless you specifically select them to be removed?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I'm not sure, if that is enough. A paradigm is not a rule. :)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding91] [for 0.16] [0.15.30] Destruct over ghosted concrete

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. While I understand what you're talking about I can't currently think of a decent way to "fix" it. For now I'm going to move this to known issues and keep it in the back of my mind.

With the deconstruction planner filters it is possible to work around it currently but I agree it would be nice if it ignored tile ghosts if there were other entities in the selection area.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

TheUnknown007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Rseding91] [for 0.16] [0.15.30] Destruct over ghosted concrete

Post by TheUnknown007 »

for both options, "normal" becomes only tiles (and tile ghosts) if no entities (and entity ghosts).

Option 1: add a switch "always remove ghost tiles" (when off: only remove ghost tiles if no normal entities / ghosts)
Option 2: add options to tile dropdown "tile ghosts only" "normal + tile ghosts"

I like option 1.

Return to “Minor issues”