[0.13.9] [Pending] Auto-movement bug (stuck keys)

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
leochoy06
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.9] [Pending] Auto-movement bug (stuck keys)

Post by leochoy06 »

Under some very rare unknown occasion, the player will keep moving into one direction even the w/s/a/d keys were not being pressed.

There were two occasions which this problem has been fixed:
1. Joining friend's server, for unknown reason my character keep walking to the west side, relogin didn't fix the problem, but opening the chat window fixed it. (For your information, I have set the ` key for opening the chat window)

2. My friend (server owner) experienced this bug. He could not open the chat window, nor fix the problem with the above trick, but the problem was fixed when he restarted the game.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [v0.13.9] Auto-movement bug

Post by Loewchen »

Just to be sure, this happened on 2 different computers?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Stuck keys in that fashion is nothing specific to Factorio. You can experience that same issue in any other game and even in simple programs like Notepad.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

leochoy06 wrote:Under some very rare unknown occasion, the player will keep moving into one direction even the w/s/a/d keys were not being pressed.

There were two occasions which this problem has been fixed:
1. Joining friend's server, for unknown reason my character keep walking to the west side, relogin didn't fix the problem, but opening the chat window fixed it. (For your information, I have set the ` key for opening the chat window)

2. My friend (server owner) experienced this bug. He could not open the chat window, nor fix the problem with the above trick, but the problem was fixed when he restarted the game.

Thanks for the report,

There can by any number of reasons why this occurs, but personally i have also experienced this with factorio and my keyboard, specifically some keys become 'stuck down' until i press them again, and it seems to only occur with factorio, as with no other application the issue appears.

However to look into the issue we'd need some more information,
What sort of keyboard do you have, does it come with any specific drivers?
Do you have any windows accessibility settings enabled? Some specifically act in a way which can cause this i think
Can you find any specific situation where the issue occurs?

leochoy06
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.13.9] [Pending] Auto-movement bug (stuck keys)

Post by leochoy06 »

Yes, my friend and I were using two different computers, he opened a server and I connect to his game via the internet to play the multiplayer game.

I was not sure what triggered the bug though, that time my character was keep moving west. I could press the D key to change it to east, but it would turn back to west once I release the D key. Quitting and relogin to the game did not help. And the problem is found fixed after opening and closing the in-game chat interface.

And I think some other background information may helps:
1. My friend is using Windows PC and I am using a very old donated macbook, so probably it is a bug related to the game code as it appears on cross platforms.
2. I did not experience this key stuck problem other than playing factorio.
3. We have been playing this game since v0.12.29 till now. But this problem only happened once to me and my friend since v0.13 .
4. My friend is playing a paid version of this game, while I downloaded it from unofficial websites (sorry... I came from a very poor family and cannot afford the high price of this wonderful game...)

Hope the above information helps..

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Have you been able to reproduce the problem in a singleplayer game?

If not then it might have to wait for the multiplayer rewrite

Everspace
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Everspace »

The stuck keys is a problem with how keyboards work mechanically. Typically this can be reset by pressing two keys at the same time (a + d then release).

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Factorio does have a problem, if your keyboard sleeps or stops registering a key while you are pressing it, factorio will not recognize this and keep the key 'pressed'

Unifire
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unifire »

Hi,

I have also a related bug so first some intro about my setup

I have 2 computers one Downstairs & one Upstairs i will call them computer D & U both Mac and both use a wireless keyboard i use both the latest experimental factorio version on both machines

I have installed factorio on both D & U and if i play normal single player maps I don't encounter the bug on both machine

but if I use steam remote play from U to play on D on my single player map I encounter a bug on U and not on D

The bug is if i press alt + another key(except numpad) i'm going to auto walk to the left until i press left again it will stay walking
if the alt + key is a hotkey, the hotkey will register like alt + D ( for creating a deconstruction planner) but still auto walking to the left occurs

ty for your time

Return to “Minor issues”