[1.1.109][WINDOWS 10] too many open files error for anything multiplayer with over 4000 mods

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
UpsideDownEye
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.109][WINDOWS 10] too many open files error for anything multiplayer with over 4000 mods

Post by UpsideDownEye »

This first started when i tried to join a multiplayer game, i do this all the time, as a result of this i have a 15GB mods file. upon even trying to join the game, i got this error message "Install failed for warptorio2_lootchest_locator: Error when opening C:\Users\[REDACTED]\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\temp\warptorio2_lootchest_locator_0.2.0.zip for writing: Too many open files", and i would get it for every mod it wanted to download (multiple notice boxes would pop up at once as well). after hitting confirm on all the boxes, my game was softlocked. i no longer can hit back or press confirm again on the sync mods with server screen.

this also happened once when trying to join on the downloading map phase however all the evidence has long since been closed and i cant get to that part anymore. i have found things online to help increase max files open, but none of them make sense to me, im pretty sure my system max files open is still at the default 2048.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
log
(131.91 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mod-list.json
mod list
(151.4 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

UpsideDownEye
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.109][WINDOWS 10] too many open files error for anything multiplayer with over 4000 mods

Post by UpsideDownEye »

things i forgor to note:
1. i know its modlist related cause i renamed my modlist folder and that magically fixed the problem at the cost of needing to go through and redownload every single mod again.
2. what i expected to happen was it to work like it does with an empty modlist folder exluding what i needed to join the server
3. this happens on any server

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.109][WINDOWS 10] too many open files error for anything multiplayer with over 4000 mods

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however in this case you simply need to delete some of the mods you have installed. Given there aren’t more than 4000 usable mods on the mod portal I suspect you have a lot of old versions of mods that you could remove.

Specifically this limit is one built into windows and not one we can bypass.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Minor issues”