[1.1.101] Gap showing up out of nowhere on compressed belt

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
sOvr9000
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.101] Gap showing up out of nowhere on compressed belt

Post by sOvr9000 »

Factorio 2024.02.04 - 01.49.47.04.mp4
(13 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
The leftmost lane of the iron plates is fully compressed; no gaps to be found anywhere. As it moves forward, a gap frequently opens up from the same tile.

I reloaded the save in single player twice and it was happening both times.

I tried using circuitry to see if the "Hold" mode would show me the iron plates dropping to 7 for a moment, thinking it is a visual error, but every time I tried to put the circuitry where I thought the gap was showing up, the gap would start showing up farther along the belt, just after the belt with the circuit connection.

For extra context, this is the save from Cope's US East Megabase public server.

Save file download (131 MB):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pEpn1K ... sp=sharing

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.101] Gap showing up out of nowhere on compressed belt

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This is unfortunately how extremely long transport belts end up working. The game can only merge so many in a row before it hits the internal limit and splits the lines. When they get split the game tries to update the 'front' line first but that doesn't always work. You can work around this by forcing a split earlier with a splitter.
factorio_MXBfNAR93c.jpg
factorio_MXBfNAR93c.jpg (601.26 KiB) Viewed 330 times
factorio_zuFb1Z1eau.jpg
factorio_zuFb1Z1eau.jpg (646.09 KiB) Viewed 330 times
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:27 pm
This is unfortunately how extremely long transport belts end up working. The game can only merge so many in a row before it hits the internal limit and splits the lines. When they get split the game tries to update the 'front' line first but that doesn't always work. You can work around this by forcing a split earlier with a splitter.
What is "the internal limit" for splitting the lines? Is there a way to identify (or avoid) cases where the update will happen in the wrong order?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Every 100 belts in a row will be merged. If the total number of merged belts in a row is above 1000 you end up with what you're seeing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Minor issues”