Fluid mixing prevention and multiple recipe setups

Things that has been reported already before.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Fluid mixing prevention and multiple recipe setups

Post by mrvn »

At first I liked the fluid mixing prevention in 0.17. No more accidentally flooding the crude oil pipeline with water. But while playing I run into a drawback.

When refining oil I build chemical plants that can either create solid fuel from light oil or split light oil. The first has 2 light oil inputs while the second has one light oil and one water input. My setup is such that I can just switch the recipe depending on supply and demand. But now switching recipes fails due to fluid mixing. You can't have a water pipe connected to a light oil input. So to switch I have to disconnect all the water. And to switch back I have to reconnect it.

Am I the only one doing something like that? What setups do you have where fluids are connected to something so multiple recipes can be crafted?
Do those break too?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fluid mixing prevention and multiple recipe setups

Post by Serenity »

This is a bug. Already been reported

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

The biggest problem for me is that I can't place underground pipes between two pipes with different liquids.

My design is full of pipe empty pipe where I plan to put underground in the empty spot.

The workaround is placing undergrounds first, but someone mentioned bots crashes the game trying to build something like this.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Serenity wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Why is that a bug?

The "problem" as I see it is that when you change the recipe the fluids in the chemical plant flow back out into the pipe(s) if there is space (right?). So if the water pipe connected to the light oil input is empty then it would fill with light oil. Not allowing there to be a water pipe connected to the light oil prevents that.

The logic for returning fluids has to handle the case of a pipe being reserved for a different liquid. Is that already the case?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Miravlix wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 pm
The biggest problem for me is that I can't place underground pipes between two pipes with different liquids.

My design is full of pipe empty pipe where I plan to put underground in the empty spot.

The workaround is placing undergrounds first, but someone mentioned bots crashes the game trying to build something like this.
When you build shouldn't all the pipes except the first and last be empty? So the underground should connect a pipe for a liquid to an empty one. Except for the last part where the liquids should match.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I saw some nice discussion about fluid mixing the other day. The primary takeaway is that fluid type should be locked in when the pipe touches a fluid output. The reason being that if two unique outputs mix, bad things happen. However, there is no immediate problem when an output touches the wrong input. It simply ends up incompatible and won't connect.

If pipes are going to be type matched, would it make sense to start automatically color coding the pipes? So when a pipe touches a water output, all those connected pipes immediately turn blue. That way we aren't trying to tangle up a nest of grey pipes and getting mad when they won't connect.

The new system will mess things up for players who get clever with mixing their pipe networks. The primary gate for a mixed network is a pump (probably circuit but maybe power network controlled). If a pipe runs into such a pump, then there is a chance that some fool is playing games with their fluids and the next length may not have a matching type. In that kind of situation, two or more pump outputs may be connecting to the same pipe, creating some kind of rainbow pipe.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

bobucles wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:48 pm
I saw some nice discussion about fluid mixing the other day. The primary takeaway is that fluid type should be locked in when the pipe touches a fluid output. The reason being that if two unique outputs mix, bad things happen. However, there is no immediate problem when an output touches the wrong input. It simply ends up incompatible and won't connect.

If pipes are going to be type matched, would it make sense to start automatically color coding the pipes? So when a pipe touches a water output, all those connected pipes immediately turn blue. That way we aren't trying to tangle up a nest of grey pipes and getting mad when they won't connect.

The new system will mess things up for players who get clever with mixing their pipe networks. The primary gate for a mixed network is a pump (probably circuit but maybe power network controlled). If a pipe runs into such a pump, then there is a chance that some fool is playing games with their fluids and the next length may not have a matching type. In that kind of situation, two or more pump outputs may be connecting to the same pipe, creating some kind of rainbow pipe.
You should install 0.17. That's exactly what they do. Even for inputs.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:23 pm
Serenity wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Why is that a bug?

The "problem" as I see it is that when you change the recipe the fluids in the chemical plant flow back out into the pipe(s) if there is space (right?). So if the water pipe connected to the light oil input is empty then it would fill with light oil. Not allowing there to be a water pipe connected to the light oil prevents that.

The logic for returning fluids has to handle the case of a pipe being reserved for a different liquid. Is that already the case?
i think the bug is that it should flow out the pipe it came in from rather than out all available pipes evenly. especially if there is a pipe already in place with a different liquid.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Even for inputs.
The main takeaway is that crossing your inputs doesn't hurt anything. You can't mix fluids by getting the inputs wrong, the machine with the wrong fluid simply won't work. So there's no need to be overly harsh about those type of connections.

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

bobucles wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:53 pm
Even for inputs.
The main takeaway is that crossing your inputs doesn't hurt anything. You can't mix fluids by getting the inputs wrong, the machine with the wrong fluid simply won't work. So there's no need to be overly harsh about those type of connections.
I don't understand why everyone keeps forgetting this fluid mixing prevention is part of a bigger fluid change.

Maybe the reason they want fluid mixing prevention is to make the rest of the system work?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Duplicate of viewtopic.php?f=182&t=65607. Moved to Duplicates
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:32 am
[Koub] Duplicate of viewtopic.php?f=182&t=65607. Moved to Duplicates
This is not a duplicate of the underground pipes.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

fluid-recipe-bug.png
fluid-recipe-bug.png (6.19 MiB) Viewed 2302 times

Return to “Duplicates”