[0.17.2][keybind] Software mapped keys don't work

Things that has been reported already before.
jab416171
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.2][keybind] Software mapped keys don't work

Post by jab416171 »

I remap my caps lock to escape by using xmodmap (on linux, like so):

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e 'keysym Caps_Lock = Escape'
The result is the caps lock key doesn't work like an escape key in the game. This issue did not exist in 0.16.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Software mapped keys don't work

Post by CDarklock »

jab416171 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:13 pm
I remap my caps lock to escape by using xmodmap (on linux, like so):

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e 'keysym Caps_Lock = Escape'
The result is the caps lock key doesn't work like an escape key in the game. This issue did not exist in 0.16.
They switched to using scan codes, so keymapping software might just plain not work anymore. Try remapping it in the game itself.

Personally I have removed the capslock key from my keyboard entirely, it's the most aggressively worthless key on the planet. ;)

edit: tRIED THIS. dAMMIT THIS IS WHY i REMOVED THE KEY (click) Anywho, remapping "toggle menu" to capslock works just fine for opening the menu, but doesn't close the menu for some reason. aFTER SOME - OH HELL (click) additional testing, only the actual escape key closes the game menu. It works just fine to close other menus with capslock.

jab416171
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jab416171 »

Yeah, mapping the 2nd key for toggle menu works for toggling the menu (and also maps to "ESCAPE"), but that still doesn't dismiss the various dialogs (inventories, research, train menu, etc)

I see what you mean by mapping it in the game (map "Caps lock" to toggle menu). I use caps lock for escape outside of Factorio so that doesn't really work for me.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

jab416171 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:51 pm
Yeah, mapping the 2nd key for toggle menu works for toggling the menu (and also maps to "ESCAPE"), but that still doesn't dismiss the various dialogs (inventories, research, train menu, etc)
mAPPING... UGH (click) it to the first does, though. That's odd. Let me check something.

Okay, I've confirmed that when I map capslock to either the first OR the second key, it works for turning off train, technology, bonus, achievement, and blueprint windows. But I can't get it to work for dismissing the game pause menu. Something weird going on there for sure.

jab416171
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jab416171 »

This is being addressed in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65881. Mods feel free to close or merge this thread.

Return to “Duplicates”