[Dominik] [16.27] Research completion bug

Things that has been reported already before.
ramyalexis
Inserter
Inserter

[Dominik] [16.27] Research completion bug

Post by ramyalexis »

Bug description:
Start new game.
Build first power and one lab.
Handcraft some red science (30 to be exact)
Put them manually in to the lab.
Research Automation (completed with no problems)
Research Logistics. (this should be 10+20 = 30 total science packs as was put in the lab manually at the beginning)
And here is the trick - Logistics bar go to the very end, but research was not completed! (no science pack left in lab, all of them consumed)
To push Logistics to completion you should craft one more red pack and again put it in the lab manually. The Logistics completes immediately just because of red pack science presence in the lab though it was not consumed or anything.
What i expect - Automation+Logistics cost 30 reds to research so it should. And not waiting any more pack for no reason.
Attachments
no_aggression.zip
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
mods.zip
(3.81 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
factorio-current.log
(5.68 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Dominik] [16.27] Research completion bug

Post by Dominik »

Hi, I have tested it, same version, your mods, and it works alright. In your save I see that a tiny fraction of the next science pack is consumed. So there is something else you must have done that caused this. I am not sure what it could have been though. One theory I have is that perhaps the research ran at some very low electric power -> very slowly, and it caused some rounding error, but I have no proof of that. Please, let me know if you manage to narrow it down.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13674
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=57072&p=337855

Although I thought this only happened when you had multiple labs, saved and reloaded, or had power issues.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

ramyalexis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ramyalexis »

Jap2.0 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13674
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=57072&p=337855

Although I thought this only happened when you had multiple labs, saved and reloaded, or had power issues.
Hello
Read the posts. Seems very likely the same issue. The first one is perfect match.
As stated there not a big deal but still the bug:)

PS
Can't reproduce it again though.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Reproduces just fine for me. Tried with a Xanders Mod burner lab and 35 bottles initially, which reproduced on the first try. In vanilla i can only reproduce if the lab is not fully powered. Game attached, just put the bottles from the chest into the lab, and select automation once electronics is done. Speed is set to 50. Also i found another bug(?). If you set /c game.player.force.current_research = 'electronics' directly then you can now research that without requiring the prerequisites. It used to automatically force research of the prereqs first in 0.15.
_bug_incomplete_research.zip
(227.37 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

ramyalexis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ramyalexis »

Yeh.
I was unable simulate power low condition.
Thanks for the "proof-of-concept". Now it looks like devs have enough info to track this down and fixing if they wish.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

Hi, as noted above, this is a duplicate of the earlier reports.
We are aware of this issue, but unfortunately this is very hard to solve. Any adjustment to the calculation we can think of leads to problems elsewhere - we need it to work for setups with many labs of different speeds, numbers changing during the research... The issue could be solved for some very special cases, but with an effort far greater than is the occurrence of it. It requires some weird numbers in order to happen, like the 0.999% power in the provided save.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Dominik wrote:Hi, as noted above, this is a duplicate of the earlier reports.
We are aware of this issue, but unfortunately this is very hard to solve. Any adjustment to the calculation we can think of leads to problems elsewhere - we need it to work for setups with many labs of different speeds, numbers changing during the research... The issue could be solved for some very special cases, but with an effort far greater than is the occurrence of it. It requires some weird numbers in order to happen, like the 0.999% power in the provided save.
As far as i tested (not much) i acutally don't think it matters how much power the lab gets as long as it is not exactly 100%. The first vanilla reproduction i did was with 20%-ish power, and xanders mods burner lab uses coal as power and thus it shouldn't even be able to ever have less than 100%.

It's nice to know that you guys give even the tiniest minor bug this much consideration though :).

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

I tried it with low varying power (solar panel with running inserters) and it still finished fine. So my theory is that it needs some edge cases to push the double precision, such as the 0.999 power.
In the code there is a cutoff at e-8 precision that removes a lot of such occurrences. Pushing it higher would solve more, but then it would also start to be visible once the science needs many packs.

Return to “Duplicates”