Accumulator effects

Things that has been reported already before.
CruelOverlord
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Accumulator effects

Post by CruelOverlord »

Hello gang I bought Factorio about a week ago and am enjoying it very much! Ive noticed when I build a large number of accumulators the graphics most notability when they are discharging really cause a lot of cpu slowdown for me and for other players(I watch a lot of twitch streams). Perhaps the graphics can be redone to improve performance during discharge?

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Accumulator effects

Post by undeadnightorc »

I'm no programmer but I would guess that it isn't actually the graphics being the problem, it's more like the game is doing some complex calculations to sort out where to fill gaps in the power system when the accumulators are called into action (most like during a biter attack and the lasers are draining the base).

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

I have no idea what is causing the problem, but I'm moving this thread to bug reports so it doesn't get forgotten.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

CruelOverlord
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CruelOverlord »

undeadnightorc wrote:I'm no programmer but I would guess that it isn't actually the graphics being the problem, it's more like the game is doing some complex calculations to sort out where to fill gaps in the power system when the accumulators are called into action (most like during a biter attack and the lasers are draining the base).
Well when its charging up the game seems to run just fine but it only seems to be happening during discharge, the only difference between these 2 things is the discharge has alot more graphical effects associated with with it.

Aarkreinsil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aarkreinsil »

Could it be the lighting calculations or something? I noticed that every accumulator emits light upon discharging ,and they all usually work at night when the solar panels don't work.

bearbin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bearbin »

If it's light, this could be related to the light slowness bug.

diegokilla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by diegokilla »

I don't know about everyone else, but the only time my accumulators discharge is when my laser turrets fire. Perhaps it has something to do with calculating damage or animating 100's of lasers?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Can't be it. I don't use laser turrets at all and I get the lags when accumulators discharge at night too.

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

Perhaps Install Lamps around the radius of the Accumulators?

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

So far I have only expirienced slodowns when there are bunch of acumulators in sight and they are iether charging or discharging. If none of them is in sight I don't expirience any slowdowns.
So I spuspect this might be caused by the acumulators charging or discharging animation.

murillokb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by murillokb »

my guess is the light effects of the accumulators. I transferred my save to a lower specs computer and now I experience heavy fps drops at night and i feel like lamps and things that emit lights are causing it.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

slpwnd
Factorio Staff