[0.12.30] Player joins and kicks other players

Things that has been reported already before.
NoPantsMcDance
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.12.30] Player joins and kicks other players

Post by NoPantsMcDance »

A player joined and it kicked the rest of the players off the server. Included entire log for sake of completeness but line 1338 is when the player joined.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(241.75 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Looking for a multiplayer server? Check out my servers Vanilla Server

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.30] Player joins and kicks other players

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

When you start a server you can disable the commands. Do it and no one can do this BS.

But then you are not able to kick people who are mean.

There are some suggestions on this board to include controls to Server only to do such things as ban or kick. I hope this will be made by the devs.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:When you start a server you can disable the commands. Do it and no one can do this BS.
NoPantsMcDance already runs his servers with commands disabled: 0.059 Program arguments: "/home/factorio/factorio/bin/x64/factorio" "--start-server" "latestsave" "--latency-ms" "200" "--autosave-interval" "10" "--autosave-slots" "20" "--disallow-commands"

Ban and Kick are not implemented in the API, so players on the server are not able to kick other players anyway, even with commands.

I also may have had this situation yesterday: I joined my server and while joining another player had been kicked from the server (as I learned later in the chat). I do have the logs but there is nothing pointing to the problem in them (it may have been coincidence after all).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

I've just read over the log, here are my findings:
L412: peer(5)"danjas" connects
L693: peer(5)"danjas" in drop detection state(100/600)
L702: peer(5)"danjas" drops out by peer(8)"Instructor"
L1338: peer(14)"danjas" connects
L1421: peer(13) drops out by peer(14)"danjas"
L1427: peer(8)"Instructor" drops out by peer(14)"danjas"
(etc.)

Assuming I'm understanding the log correctly, "danjas" told the server that it couldn't communicate with any of the other peers, and the server proceeded to disconnect them. This seems like a pretty big security flaw, if you ask me.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

TruePikachu wrote:Assuming I'm understanding the log correctly, "danjas" told the server that it couldn't communicate with any of the other peers, and the server proceeded to disconnect them. This seems like a pretty big security flaw, if you ask me.
this sounds odd, but def something to look into. Imagine if all other peers are blacklisting the new peer except the server as such any attempt by the new peer to contact the others would fail and cause the new peer to report not communicating with the others to the server...

if anyone wants to try this out I'm all game for some experimenting
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Bisa wrote:
TruePikachu wrote:Assuming I'm understanding the log correctly, "danjas" told the server that it couldn't communicate with any of the other peers, and the server proceeded to disconnect them. This seems like a pretty big security flaw, if you ask me.
this sounds odd, but def something to look into. Imagine if all other peers are blacklisting the new peer except the server as such any attempt by the new peer to contact the others would fail and cause the new peer to report not communicating with the others to the server...

if anyone wants to try this out I'm all game for some experimenting
Just be aware there's a potential race condition, as if any of the blacklisting peers decide they can't communicate with the blacklisted, it's the blacklisted that would be disconnected. Might want to have either all the blacklisters, or the blacklisted, on a Linux machine you have root for so you could mess with the iptables (and therefore have control over what packets can get through).

EDIT: Since everything is UDP, it might be possible to actually use an external tool to generate the "drop so-and-so" message, if someone can figure out what it is from network traces.

NoPantsMcDance
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by NoPantsMcDance »

Had the same issue just happen on my modded server. Line 4084
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
Line 4084
(578.65 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Looking for a multiplayer server? Check out my servers Vanilla Server

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the reports,

This is actually kind of a big issue

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

This is the same problem as 13646, let's continue there.

Return to “Duplicates”