[12.7] Excessive RAM usage 6+GB, possibly memory leak?

Things that has been reported already before.
Darlis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[12.7] Excessive RAM usage 6+GB, possibly memory leak?

Post by Darlis »

I just noticed Factorio using up almost all of my 8GB RAM. The RAM usage also increases over time by just letting Factorio run in the background by about 150MB per 5 minutes.
The only way I figured out to stop the increase is to cut the power supply to my factory, so it must be something power/production related. Deconstructing almost the entire factory did nothing to solve the problem, the RAM usage always increases.

I've compared my save to the "Computer" factory that was referenced in a recent FFF. This one has almost four times as much entities and just uses 1,8GB RAM. The RAM usage does not seem to increase here.
One of my old saves from v11 (90 hours) just uses 1GB, no increase.

Of course the first thing I did was to remove all the mods (TreeFarm, BlueprintString, FARL, FATController, Air-Filtering) by renaming the mod folder, but nothing changed. I know that there is a bug with the Air-Filtering mod but I doubt that it is related.

Here's a save with about 6,5GB RAM usage: https://www.dropbox.com/s/708n8aomcm5m45c/a3.zip?dl=0

My System: Win7 x64, i5 4670K@3.4GHZ, 8GB RAM, nVidia GTX 960 2GB VRAM

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [12.7] Excessive RAM usage 6+GB, possibly memory leak?

Post by Rseding91 »

I looked at your save and the air-filtering mod bug has defiantly done something weird to it. The evolution_factor was -86119584. I also found the reason for the large amount of memory usage: their are chunks created between -27,000 x, -27000 y and 21,000 x, 21,000 y.

Something created entities on those extreme edge chunks and the game has now created the chunks between them - all 2,304,000,000 of them. Now, they're all empty else it would just crash from out of memory errors but the space for them to be generated has already been allocated.

Unfortunately there's no supported mechanic to remove them so the save is stuck that way. I'd recommend you stop using the air filtering mod until 0.12.9 where the bug has been fixed. As for the memory usage - you'll either need to use an older save or just let it use the 6 GB. Without the mods the memory usage sat constant for me.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Can you post your mod folder so we can test with the mods enabled?

Darlis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Darlis »

Thanks for the fast reply. I didn't know air filtering had that bad consequences.
My most recent save has already 7,2GB usage so that's unusable. Unfortunately, my oldest one with just 2GB seems to have that problem too as the chunks are (slowly) increasing even without the mod. I'll let it run a bit and see if it stabilizes itself, otherwise a new factory it is.

Here's my mod folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e82ehnyr4vh8rq/mods.zip?dl=0

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Well, I've let it run with your mods for a while, and haven't observed any increasing memory usage. So it looks like 0.12.9 will fix it.

envy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by envy »

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I started using the air filter mod a few days ago and now my save completly uses my 16GB ram. I have disabled the air filter mod and manually set the evolution factor back to 0 (was something like minus 1 million) and it is increasing again. But the memory usage wont go down. Could you please have a look if I have the same problem with the extra generated chunks?
Here is my save file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/305 ... ff_neu.zip

The game runs fine at steady 60/60 but saving takes 5-10 minutes because of full ram.

Return to “Duplicates”