[1.1.94] Missing inserter highlight when I hover over a tile receiving from it

Things that has been reported already before.
Velizar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.94] Missing inserter highlight when I hover over a tile receiving from it

Post by Velizar »

(See screenshots for a visual tl;dr)

When I placed an inserter and pointed it to an object, then when I hovered over the object, then the other inserters that are inserting into it were highlighted as expected, however one of them wasn't. Some of the time this wasn't the case and it's not known to me when it will happen, but I figured out some of the factors which determine it.

I am using Bob's Adjustable Inserters, and I was only able to see when the output range of the inserter is 3 tiles, so I initially posted it in a Discord server, however a mod dev told me that it looks like a vanilla issue. The dev said: "Bob's Adjustable Inserters doesn't do anything with selection. It just provides a UI so you can configure the (otherwise hidden) settings provided by vanilla".

In this case, the inserter to the right was meant to be highlighted:
Hovering the inserter itself works as expected:
It is inconsistent - sometimes it works - in the following screenshot, two inserters are outputting to the box, the one on the right, and the one below, however, only the one on the right is getting highlighted:
It works as expected when I am trying to place a transport belt, even on tiles where the same inserter is not being highlighted when I hover over a box occupying that tile:

It is not just boxes that have that problem, assemblers do too (I believe it will be present for every object that takes inputs):

The bug might not be present if the object occupies both the actual target tile, and also one tile closer to the inserter:
(the bug is present with this same box if I place it one tile to the left)

It persists if I save the game, then exit Factorio, then start Factorio and load the game again.

if I mess with either the box or the inserter, e.g. I remove the inserter and add a new one, or I remove the box and add a different building, the glitch remains, so whether or not it reproduces must depend on the coordinates of the inserter & destination, not on a non-deterministic factor.

To reproduce:
1. Load my uploaded save game (OR start a new game, with Bob's adjustable inserters, and with the last research for length being researched - I have not tested this)
2. Place a building
3. Place an inserter 3 tiles away from the building, then edit the inserter, so that it inserts INTO the building (I haven't tested it with FROM). Make sure that all the 3 tiles between the inserter and the building are not occupied by other parts of the building.
4. Hover over the building from step 2.
5. If it works, there is no step 5. If it doesn't work then pick a different spot on the map and repeat from step 2.
(steps 2 and 3 can be done in the opposite order)
Attachments
bug_report.zip
(10.32 MiB) Downloaded 17 times

Return to “Duplicates”