Keybinds cut off in German localization (Change translation of keys?)

Things that has been reported already before.
Maeximus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Keybinds cut off in German localization (Change translation of keys?)

Post by Maeximus »

For German users its hard to see which keybinds are assigned, especially if Ctrl+Shift is used, because it translates to Steuerungstaste + Umschalttaste which is already cut of, so there is no way to see which key is assigned. Maybe shorten "Steuerungstaste" to "Strg" and "Umschalttaste" to "Umschalt" (and "Alt-Taste" to "Alt")? As it happens in the keybinds menu it is clear that the key is meant so its not necessary to write it explicitly with "Taste".

So then it would be "Strg + Umschalt" instead of "Steuerungstaste + Umschalttaste" which would help immensly.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 121127.png
Screenshot 2024-06-02 121127.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 616 times

Maeximus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Keybinds cut off in German localization (Change translation of keys?)

Post by Maeximus »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:14 am
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=85959
Thanks for pointing out the duplicate! I just cannot find a reason why the original was closed as "Won't Fix" and I'm wondering as this is a issue for EVERY player with a German localization.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

As someone whose first language is german, I suggest you play english if this bothers you.

German translations are always weird. Why would anyone need a word like UMSCHALTTASTE for CAPS and STEUERUNGSTASTE for CTRL, instead of your suggested shorter versions?

I never play German translations, because if we follow this rule, Assembling Machine should be Zusammenbaumaschine :lol:

Also

[quote] so there is no way to see which key is assigned [/quote]

While the cut off words are ugly, I think this is nowhere near the truth. If you cannot find that key because the word "taste" is missing, you should play consoles.

I like your suggestion for style reasons (and in general, stupidly verbose tongue twisting translations), but it's not like it's unplayable because of this.

Edit:
Sorry, I missed the part where both ......taste + .....taste + X really cuts off the important information X

STRG+UMSCH+X would indeed be better and I was rambling like an "I always watch movies in english" elitist. :roll:

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:51 am
Both DE and EN are foreign languages to me, which I speak and understand roughly on the same level. Since the original content is usually in EN, I consume content in EN.
Does not change the fact, that I have a DE keyboard layout, with the usual STRG, Alt Gr etc.

Factorio is a big exception, that when you switch interface to EN, it also "mislabels" the input keys.
Usually games continue (and that's the correct way of doing it) labelling the keys with the correct layout/language-specific names.
I assume they don't want to fix it, since the changes would only be active and relevant for that specific language, instead of the usual "keyboard is separate from language" thing.

For the sake of Ordnung I would also prefer having the proper short forms of the keyboard names, and have layout separate from the games language, but I understand, that diverting ressources to such a minor inconvenience propably aint gonna happen.

Also don't be such a germanophobe :D . The beauty and simplicity of the German language lies in those chained substantives, and permits you understanding complex words and texts from ages ago. Reading Göthe is way easier, than it is to read Shakespeare.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

As someone whose mother language is German and who tries to play games in their German translation if possible, I'm used to all kind of shortcomings in German game localizations. Usually, it's GUI design that ignores the fact there are languages that use more characters for some descriptions. The design allows replacing text, but it often just assumes any translation isn't (much) longer than their original, usually English.

If it comes to Factorio, I saw the keybind issue as well, however the usual workaround is to switch to English, do the configuration, then switch back to German.

A solution would be in my opinion to dynamically change to a smaller font if some text doesn't fit the available space. Not to abbreviate text to force it to fit, at least not in the first place. There are some games with such forced abbreviations, and this sometimes cripples the text that much I switch a game to English and stay in English. Factorio is not one of these, I just want to show it's always possible to have even worse implementations.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If you want to discuss the translation further you can do this here: 85953

Return to “Duplicates”