Friday Facts #359 - Crash site: The beginning

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #359 - Crash site: The beginning

Post by FactorioBot »

vanopiano
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #359 - Crash site: The beginning

Post by vanopiano »

Glad to hear that about mods for 0.18 πŸ˜„

Also I think new drill is a bit brighter, which is cool

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

The crash site can be disabled through creating new map menu? Idea is good, but for some scenarios, these element can annoy.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

TheoMarque wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:41 am
The crash site can be disabled through creating new map menu? Idea is good, but for some scenarios, these element can annoy.
It is only in the freeplay script, and there is a remote interface to disable the crashsite and the cutscene

vdreams
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vdreams »

wow, i am excited about the new crash site in freeplay mode. Adds more realism. I have always wished for that! Big thumbs up!!!!

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

If renaming images causes mod problems, why not just have a versioned list of the images in the program?

There must already be something for entities, because when you load an old save, it finds all the old entities and converts them.

Why can't a mod tap into that functionality, or there be a list that image X was previously called Y in v0.18 and Z in 0.17?

Then mods can continue to work going forward, even if the images aren't exactly the same?

If changes break things, but you know what the change was and what it broke, why not fix it on mod load rather than having to have a thousand mod developers all update their code with every breaking update for the sake of "I just want this image of this particular thing"?

Xoriun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xoriun »

the new graphics look really nice.
However, I noticed that on the technology icon of the logistic 1 research, the underground-belt on the top right faces the wrong way. On the logistics 2,3 icon, it is correct.

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

:thumbsup: for the crash site in freeplay!

@mods: is there still a reason for game version field in the info.json?
Cant it all be solved by a "base>=..."-dependency?

As in: why not remove that field and allow for smooth transitions going forward?
There were enought mod breaking changes that required the use of the base-style-dependency anyway and on the other hand: most mods dont break (except for the fix to the game veraion string) just because the game gets a new "major" release.

So if you made the it mandatory to use the versioned base dependency and made the game + mod portal read + use that info instead of the game version field, i think it would be overall better. (More like real software engineering where you only live by versioned dependencies)
Last edited by someone1337 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

CzBuCHi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CzBuCHi »

Xoriun wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 am
However, I noticed that on the technology icon of the logistic 1 research, the underground-belt on the top right faces the wrong way. On the logistics 2,3 icon, it is correct.
... cannot use now :o

Abount mining drill:
How the heck you make something better, that looked perfect???
Also i dont see any pipes for acid and back site is empty - that got me an idea allowing acid connections only from sides and not from back (respectively do not block back site with pipe if there is no connection)

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Giving the freeplay a little bit of introduction is a wonderful idea.
Since spawning those structures can be deactivated, will there be a checkbox in those entities to protect them from accidental mining?

doppelEben
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doppelEben »

As many graphics have changed over the years, more and more related technology icons became outdated. We didn't have enough time to do a complete rework of the technology icons as we did with the item icons, but we could at least update the clearly outdated ones.
Thats why you decided to release 1.0 some weeks earlier, right? :geek:

But overall they look nice! keep going your excellent work!

FrozenTaco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FrozenTaco »

Really cool drills! But they have a small issue that i found with their model/hitbox. As you can see in the picture if you put 2 drills diagonally of one another, it seems like that there is enough space to squeak through, but that is not the case.
factorio drill.png
factorio drill.png (932.22 KiB) Viewed 74434 times

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I liked the "old" remake of the drills.

I *LOVE* the new one. All the parts I liked and none of those I was less in love with. Well done redesign!

I can't wait to watch the cutscene, and am glad it's skippable for my Nth playthrough, I'll probably not want to watch it no matter how good it is.

Also I love the slight addition to the lore, though my headcanon was always that you didn't crash at all, you worked for a company and your "very special set of skills" was setting up an infrastructure so future engineers could land and take over. But hey, nothing's saying you couldn't accidentally crash on your target world with just that goal already in place.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Wow, the new miner is more functional (no more hiding the belt), AND looks better ?!? Nice job.

Edriel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Edriel »

The new miner indeed allows you to finally see the belts but... grafically speaking I preferred the other one :shock:

koukloff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by koukloff »

As you mentioned: crash protection for mods in Version 1
There are however still conflicts on the layers of the soil 0.18. Example of Dectorio and other surface mods that are incompatible. Proof for the striped effects of certain colors which translate into a neutral earth background. I can't see who is causing this.
I guess you have contacts with at least the most loyal modders and it will go well for your launch.
Good luck on D-Day.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I'm looking forward to the new emergency break features. Complete with sparks and high-pitched squeaking.
No. You can not un-announce it now :p. Also the hover-shoes research looks interesting too.
emergency.png
emergency.png (18.95 KiB) Viewed 74193 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Omarflyjoemacky »

New mining drill graphic looks even better than the old one. Very nice changes indeed, putting the miner on rails. Cleaner and easier to see for sure.

Also - is that the new assembly machine graphic I see?! :D

Love the crashed ship too! Thank you Wube!
"And then Bender ran."

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Excellent news with this FFF again. Good move with the redesign of the mining drill, sexy research icons, mod retrocompatibility for 1.0, some background fluff to enrich the freeplay immersion (intro cinematic and remnants), I feel spoiled as a Factorio fan :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by voddan »

I really like the crash site idea! The wrecked ship looks fantastic!
Looking forward to seeing the cut scene in 1.0 - I hope it is super epic and cinematic :D

Return to β€œNews”