Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Regular reports on Factorio development.
otobot1
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by otobot1 »

Really not a fan of the nuke sound effect. The visuals are pretty sweet, but the sound feels very weak and unsatisfying.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1138
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by 5thHorseman »

5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:38 pm
Very excited about blueprint snap.

Just to make sure, the little corner squares on those blueprints makes them snap within that box? So a blueprint doesn't have to fill the space vertically or horizontally to snap correctly?

Is there a way to set the bounding box for all blueprints in a book, or to say "all blueprints I'm making right now are x*y in size"?
I take back the first part of that question. I was reading this on mobile and the picture was small, I see that it's actually settable directly.

However I'd like to know, while making blueprints is there a way to say "make all my blueprints x*y in size"? So I can lay out all my train tracks and just grab blueprints of them and not have to go in and edit each one to make sure they're exactly the right size.

I mean, I'll do that if I must and do it happily as it'll save so much time down the road, but it'd be nice to be able to just grab 42x42 blueprints right from the get go.
Image Image

MassiveDynamic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by MassiveDynamic »

I love you Klonan.

glee8e
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by glee8e »

I just noticed that the nuke explosion sound is not very impressive. Maybe it should be louder, last longer and at least should not go silent before the shockwave go away.

Keats
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:33 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by Keats »

DOSorDIE wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:20 pm
and the Nuke sound need more punch ... its meh ... the grafic is great!
Look at Supreme Commander Nuke explosion ... and you know the different.
EDIT: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kelb7XVh4cU&t=1m33s
The new Blueprint system is awsome. :-) Good job!
Wow, definitely an impressive one. It looks and sounds so powerful.
Also it seems to use multiple sprites merging into one giant ball like malecord said. Or maybe some kind of volumetric effect ? Not sure it would be achievable in a 2D game engine though.
Last edited by Keats on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 7636
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by kovarex »

5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:38 pm
Is there a way to set the bounding box for all blueprints in a book, or to say "all blueprints I'm making right now are x*y in size"?
No there isn't, that wouldn't be even possible, because the game can't know how do you want to align the blueprint with the grid, unless the blueprint has exactly the same size as the grid, in which case, you just check to checkboxes, and the defaulted parameters do it for you.

And: Even if it would be possible, cluttering the UI by a tool for something so specific and rarely used would be feature creep i believe.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by ManaUser »

I had some difficulty getting the nuke animation to play, probably just my weird browser, but once I got it working, wow. I have to say that looks awesome. Well done. Looking forward to blowing things up in style.

krenshala
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 12:46 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by krenshala »

All these updates look great!

For the nuke, I agree the sound needs more ... sound. :)

Also, shouldn't the expanding wave have its lighting rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise (bright at the top where light from the explosions hits the clouds; dark at the bottom where you see mostly shadow from teh cloud) ?

User avatar
Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by Krazykrl »

I have similar reactions to the nuke(newke?) explosion...
  • Lack of ominous bass rumble in the sound effect make the nuke sound a bit anemic and short lived.
  • The mushroom cloud disperses too quickly, since the cloud is dust thrown into the air; and not a localized (over)pressure wave.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1138
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by 5thHorseman »

kovarex wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:52 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:38 pm
Is there a way to set the bounding box for all blueprints in a book, or to say "all blueprints I'm making right now are x*y in size"?
No there isn't, that wouldn't be even possible, because the game can't know how do you want to align the blueprint with the grid, unless the blueprint has exactly the same size as the grid, in which case, you just check to checkboxes, and the defaulted parameters do it for you.

And: Even if it would be possible, cluttering the UI by a tool for something so specific and rarely used would be feature creep i believe.
That's fair. I totally understand not wanting feature creep.

I was imagining a blue tinted 42x42 (for example) square on the screen that you just hover over what you want to blueprint, and click and it turns into a 42x42 blueprint.
Image Image

BiffBish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by BiffBish »

deef0000dragon1 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Can we get an offset X/Y option in the grid section? It is mentioned in the FFF how you move the red flag around, but to me it seems clunky in an otherwise good GUI. It seems ESPECIALLY problematic if you have a large number of prints (IE Rails) that need to run on the same offset, it would make positioning them to all be the same offset really hard.

Second (much harder, defiantly reaching) request: The ability to assign the offsets for an entire BP book. It would make setting train/wall grid offsets much easier.
yea I really would like a way to offset the absolute positioning of the grid. Because if you wanted absolute positioning on a BP (so you don’t need to worry about setting the right position) but you couldn’t do it because the absolute positioning is offset from what you currently have. So an x,y offset to the absolute positioning that is tied to the blueprint would be awesome

aljo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by aljo »

Man, the snap to grid. I cannot put into words how much I love it. I can't wait.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by conn11 »

DOSorDIE wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:20 pm
kovarex wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 pm
welens wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm
conn11 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:43 pm
EnerJi wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:34 pm


Oh really? That's great. Does it also support swapping modules, e.g. from speed to prod or vice-versa?

The upgrade planner is quite flexible considering modules; even in the current version.

upgrade_planner.JPG
Still don't understand how to upgrade assembly without modules to the one with modules. :)
That is not possible yet, and will not be in 1.0. We call this idea module install/uninstall. It might be done one day. The logic would be, that if you fill only "To", and keep From empty, it would install the module if possible. Same, the other way around, when you have From filled and and To empty.
There is a Mod what handle the Moduls in a perfect way ... i never play without that MOD.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ModuleInserter
I do think a combination of the current functionality of the upgrade planner and the not yet implemented module insertion would be sufficient enough for most cases. While beneficially not introducing any new UI-elements.

What arguably is missing, is a feature allowing horizontal and vertical mirroring.
Probably best, by shift clicking the arrow keys.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:43 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by FasterJump »

Very excited about the blueprint grid.

Mirroring blueprint would be great. I often have to open my browser and go to this specific third party tool to mirror my blueprint, having it ingame (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-M) would be easier. But if I remember correctly, this suggestion has been rejected in the past because some entities cannot be mirrored (Fluid tanks, refineries and chemical plants with specific liquid input/outputs)... Implementing a vanilla tool that doesn't always work is probably a bad idea. By the way, isn't it a mod for that? (I which mods would be split into 2 categories: UI/QoL mods and game-changing mods, like in FAF, so people with different UI/QoL mods could join the same multiplayer game)

Back to the subject, I have no expectation about the graphics. It cannot be realistic anyway, because real-life nuke explosions are kilometer wide, while in the game it's just few dozens of meters. So basically I'm already very happy with those new nuke graphics and I'm not looking for too much realism.

Can't wait for the new trailer, I wonder if it will feature nukes!

Ferlonas
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 7:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by Ferlonas »

The most important question for me: If I make a blueprint with a 32x32 grid, will it align to chunk borders or be outside of them?

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 6:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by DanGio »

Really nice features. I appreciate the discrete help texts, as every beginner I watch stumble on how to use on the different planners (and it also took me a lot of time to learn the different possibilities). I hope we can participate in the new blueprint library testing next week ! :)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1523
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by Qon »

FasterJump wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:27 am
Very excited about the blueprint grid.
I used a mod in Factorio 0.17 for grid aligned blueprints. But it hasn't been updated for Factorio 0.18 yet (well it was updated 10 days ago now that I check again) and you couldn't undo (CTRL+Z) blueprints placed with its help. Alignment is a must have feature with big blueprints. My blueprints are so big I need mods to zoom out further (because map view placements don't work) and zooming out makes aligning the tiny entities even harder. So this and map placements are fantastic.
FasterJump wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:27 am
Mirroring blueprint would be great. I often have to open my browser and go to this specific third party tool to mirror my blueprint, having it ingame (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-M) would be easier. But if I remember correctly, this suggestion has been rejected in the past because some entities cannot be mirrored (Fluid tanks, refineries and chemical plants with specific liquid input/outputs)... Implementing a vanilla tool that doesn't always work is probably a bad idea. By the way, isn't it a mod for that? (I which mods would be split into 2 categories: UI/QoL mods and game-changing mods, like in FAF, so people with different UI/QoL mods could join the same multiplayer game)
Blueprint Extensions has mirroring, updating (keeping icon and name), landfill, blueprint snap (change bp centre so you can align corners easily even when zoomed if grid alignment isn't available or wanted).

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by conn11 »

FasterJump wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:27 am
Mirroring blueprint would be great. I often have to open my browser and go to this specific third party tool to mirror my blueprint, having it ingame (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-M) would be easier. But if I remember correctly, this suggestion has been rejected in the past because some entities cannot be mirrored (Fluid tanks, refineries and chemical plants with specific liquid input/outputs)... Implementing a vanilla tool that doesn't always work is probably a bad idea. By the way, isn't it a mod for that? (...)
Or for only mirroring I use Bluprint Flip and Turn (Credit to NovaM).

I disagree, a Vanilla friendly implementation could be forbidding the feature (by sending an error message) if the build cannot have chirality, because some entities (e.g. the mentioned chem plant) aren't turnable.

TheNoseKnows
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by TheNoseKnows »

glee8e wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:21 am
I just noticed that the nuke explosion sound is not very impressive. Maybe it should be louder, last longer and at least should not go silent before the shockwave go away.
Try this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/MushroomCloud

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ?context=3
Its sound and lighting effects are far more dramatic than even the new and improved official nukes (although the new shockwave is obviously better). Its main flaw is not the explosion itself but the geiger counter sound effect, which doesn't turn on until you're already standing near ground zero, and which doesn't turn back off even when you're miles away.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #357 - Nuke

Post by coppercoil »

TheNoseKnows wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 am
Try this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/MushroomCloud
By the way, this mod gives better light flash. Factorio's overbright is poor quality: colors are burned to white too fast without a log law (thereby giving an impression of low dynamic range), some color channels burn earlier than others (causing serious hue shift), the rest just becomes oversaturated. This is not how human eye sees bright images. I recommend consulting with a serious photographer.
I guess, a complex solution could be: a) converting colors from sRGB to linear, multiplying by coefficient i.e. brightening, c) applying S contrast curve and d) back to sRGB. Medium complexity: a) convert to Lab, b) rise L logarithmically, c) sRGB. Or maybe, just flood a white with a radial mask :). Haven't tested these cases, just thinking.

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users