Friday Facts #339 - Beacon HR + Redesign process

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #339 - Beacon HR + Redesign process

Post by FactorioBot »

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #339 - Beacon HR + Redesign process

Post by leadraven »

I [don't] love it!
Admins, don't do it again...

I don't agree it is "integrated in the world of Factorio". It looks very foreign.
May be it's because I don't like beacon itself, as a game mechanic.
Last edited by leadraven on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

What would it look like if the electricity beams occasionally arced to the entities that are receiving the bonus?

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

doktorstick wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 pm
What would it look like if the electricity beams occasionally arced to the entities that are receiving the bonus?
Adding to this, what if they are the thing that connects the beacons? For example, make the tip of beacons that are close enough have their own set of electricity beams between them.

AlmightyJu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AlmightyJu »

I much prefer the first redesign over the last image. I think its simply having the building extend into the hole rather than just a bunch of cables running up to a almost hovering building design that sways it for me.

Obviously without seeing lots of them side by side its hard to tell if its really too cluttered or if its simply a colour change needed but looking at the colours of both designs it's totally different and makes it hard to make a comparison but I still prefer the first redesign.

Panderturtle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Panderturtle »

The Beacon looks like a kraken which is helping you in the factory.

Looks fancy, but in my opinion its too much detail. The Beacon is a building which is in end-game nearly everywhere so i think it has to hide a bit between the other buildings. It should set itself in the background so you can see the other buildings more clear.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

I think the "sword" on the top is not nessasary and doesnt fit with the rest.
The rest is cool and i like it.
Maybe a little satelit dish will look better on top ...

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brambor »

What do you mean "long post"? It is one of the shorter ones!

Also, I cannot but help to see it as some sort of turret. A fighting entity. It looks eerie.

I like the design itself, to me, it just looks more like a front line, electric defence mechanism shocking the bitters with lightning.

crux042
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by crux042 »

It just looks like.... ancient alien ruin.... Does not suit with *factory*, I think.

Panderturtle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Panderturtle »

Brambor wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:18 pm
I like the design itself, to me, it just looks more like a front line, electric defence mechanism shocking the bitters with lightning.
Which would be a nice addition to the game btw!

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

I've never liked beacon spam. When half your base's real estate is taken up by beacons, I think that looks terrible, no matter what the unit itself looks like. This is probably the main reason I don't use them. Because you need so many and their range is so short.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

If you take only the red parts it looks like a rudimental DIY Spidertron Mk1 for early game. I like it a lot :D

Braxus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Braxus »

I think the "sword" on the top is not nessasary and doesnt fit with the rest.
I am ok with this at start i think it's come from another thing.

The most frustrating point with beacon is not the art but the lack of surronding visual effect.

With this visual, you can't feel the module spread aroud, maybe it's worst because the thunder are bounded.
Furthermore, has a player, i whant to know the module kind (just speed/efficient not tier) just by looking (without alt mode), just because it's smart and beautiful.

Lord Darkness
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lord Darkness »

Thanks for the design techbits, but it looks indeed like a tetrapod monster, so I'm not really a fan of the final design presented.

Personally I find the image with "max occlusion/collision box" much more appealing, especially the version that is not red.

The absence of color makes it look more clean, so any subtle lightning on it would be easy to read without having to be aggressive.

If the center is the problem visually, well, just leave the iron rings there, working as its structure as well, so you'd be able to see the hole behind it.

So, very readable, subtle and high-tech, to me at least.

Personally, I'd remove the "round window", making it a perfect sphere at the top with no details.

Maybe the lightning color should tell what kind of beacon that is.

Not really a huge fan of the beacon mechanic anyway, haha, I think the system should be smarter without having to rely on multiple beacons.
Last edited by Lord Darkness on Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

No one will ever guess what it does by this visual. It is a weapon, or furnace... The eye in the center is very confusing. Spire doesn't look like a transmitter. It is not associated with area effect.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

It looks like it's supposed to be an electricity supply, or possibly an electrical weapon.

It doesn't look like something that speeds up production in nearby units.

With the varied orientations, etc., it also looks like something that'll drive OCD people mad for no particularly good reason (I understand variation in, say, the beams, or the floors or the trees, but not on the buildings themselves - especially when they are likely mass-produced).

Personally I don't use beacons in long rows either.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Love the general idea and concept. Hate the placement variation, it does not fit the rest of factory where everything is nice and tidy. I think I will be placing and picking up beacons until I get my variation of choice, not cricket ones. Unfortunately it will be nightmare late game when bots are placing lots of beacons but I will build beaconed designs far away from main factory not to see it unless I want to deconstruct the build.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I like the flattening of the design by sinking the building slightly into the ground. Dare I suggest thinking about doing the same thing to the Roboport?

Uggeli
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Uggeli »

It's ugly, don't like it

kendfrey
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kendfrey »

irbork wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:44 pm
Love the general idea and concept. Hate the placement variation, it does not fit the rest of factory where everything is nice and tidy.
I came here just to post this. The random variations of beacons really destroy the factory aesthetic, where everything is supposed to be clean, organized, and mechanical, especially at the later stages of the game when beacons get used. It might make a nice graphical option, but please don't require it.

Return to “News”