Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Regular reports on Factorio development.
User avatar
BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by BattleFluffy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Congratulations to Allaizn on officially joining the team! That's so cool. He is a really awesome guy and one of the smartest people I know. I am sure he will be a massive asset to the team.

Ian, sound designer... oh my gosh, is it really finally happening? I've been lusting after the new sound effects (eg for the Artillery!) since it was first suggested many FFF's ago. I can't wait to see (hear?) some progress in this area! :D

Welcome aboard to both.. :>

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Ringkeeper » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Philip017 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:42 pm
9/25/20 is a good goal ....
go away witch with this unholy numbers..... 25.09.2020 !! Czech company, useful numbers :P

But yeah, i second the request for a paid DLC... your one of the only companies i ask for a paid DLC. Good companies need the support and the steady income to continue what they do.

EnerJi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by EnerJi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:59 pm

BattleFluffy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm
Congratulations to Allaizn on officially joining the team! That's so cool. He is a really awesome guy and one of the smartest people I know. I am sure he will be a massive asset to the team.

Ian, sound designer... oh my gosh, is it really finally happening? I've been lusting after the new sound effects (eg for the Artillery!) since it was first suggested many FFF's ago. I can't wait to see (hear?) some progress in this area! :D

Welcome aboard to both.. :>
I'd love to see some more music, as well. Looking forward to the updates.

Qasy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Qasy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:09 pm

BuDDaH77 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm
that yellow underground belt going under the factorio logo in the new coverart is hurting my eyes/brain... the underground entrance is fully saturated everything after the exit is almost empty!

or is it just a easter-egg pointing to not yet announced underground-splitter? ;)
as mmmPI mentioned before, the underground belt is too long to be connected, so the saturation is just normal...the items after the exit however, make me curious too ; )
...and why are there gears on both sides of the belt later on...hmmm... ;P

User avatar
Raiguard
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Raiguard » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 pm

I went back and found an older version of the same picture, and created a little comparison of before/after the color correction. Enjoy!

MP4 compression makes the new colors look worse than they actually are, but it's still fun to compare.

For a more accurate comparison, here are the old colors, and here are the new colors.

Attachments
old vs new.mp4
(584.63 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Don't forget, you're here forever.

Quarnozian
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Quarnozian » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:19 pm

"from the perspective of a new player, the things we are working on now are mainly nitpicks."
Ah, yes... the curse of being an indie developer. The ability to nitpick, at the cost of pushing back the release date. ;)

I still chuckle a little at all the nonsensical factory arrangement on the cover art. Like the heat exchanger being fed lubricant. :lol:

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by aklesey1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:31 pm

What we can expect after releasing of version 1.0?
I think game have huge potential of small and small improvements and polishment in gameplay
Last edited by aklesey1 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

User avatar
irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by irbork » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 pm

The date is 25th September 2020
When I was reading up to this sentence I was thinking:
Yey, Factorio 1.0 for Christmas!

User avatar
irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by irbork » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Has the site received saturation upgrades or am I imagining things?

MEOWMI
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by MEOWMI » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Honestly, the new cover art bothers me more than a little, but it works well artistically, and it's cohesive enough as long as no-one takes too many gameplay-specific ideas from it. :) It's not like the game's current cover in the Steam library represents the mechanics flawlessly either.

kenmras
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:41 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by kenmras » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Ringkeeper wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:50 pm
Philip017 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:42 pm
But yeah, I second the request for a paid DLC... your one of the only companies i ask for a paid DLC. Good companies need the support and the steady income to continue what they do.
I disagree.. if the DLC you want is for more content go get a mod (or 25). If you want to support the Dev team find someone on your Steam friends list that wants the game and buy it for them. We already know the Factory must grow, Wube agrees the Factorio team must grow, now lets grow the userbase!
This also helps the team with greater "advertising"

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Hiladdar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Grads on setting the official release date, announcing it to the world. This in it self is a great marketing, as well as actual release date.

Will there be an interim versions 0.18.xx, between 0.17.xx and 1.0?

I do have several questions about the picture in the FF321.

The refinery ... what is it outputting, and why is the output from the oil refinery going into the output of the boiler?
The pump ... why is it taking what should be input for the oil refinery and trying to pump what looks like lube into the boiler.
The boiler ... why is it accepting lube as an input? Why is a boiler connected to from nuclear reactor?
The nuclear reactor ... where does the expanded nuclear fuel go?
The centrifuge ... where is the input and what does it produce, and does what it produces go?
The lamp ... not a single circuit wire connected to it, and why is shining a bright yellow and not white?
The electric forge ... yep, it's working on smelting what is in the passive provider chest, but how is that passive provider chest being filled and where does the smelted product go?
The lower left hand underground pipe with lube ... I guess that is a dead end pipe, since the that underground pipe never surfaces
The arithmetic contaminator ... is it not connected to anything with circuit wires, so what is it trying to calculate?

There may be other inconsistencies with the actual base game. Other then that, the graphic busy and meets the standard of being appealing enough to entice new players to try the game out.

By the way, some of these inconsistencies, post game launch, may be used as a marketing opportunity where players identify the technical issues with the graphic compared to how the game actually plays. Winners could could be presented with some sort of prize, such as coffee cup, cap, t-shirt, future releases, as part of a well advertised marketing campaign.

Hiladdar

pr0n
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by pr0n » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:52 pm

I love you guys, you have given me so many hours of enjoyment but... September 2020 for just nitpicks?! Why not just say "soon™"? I feel like your nitpicks at this point are purely inconsequential and kinda ruin existing gameplay like renaming existing API calls for pedantics and redoing fluids and making perfectly compressed belts as easy as just add inserters. Minecraft is a great *because* those quirks are left alone and adopted. Please, don't let the pursuit of perfection take you over the other end of the bell curve. I LOVE factorio and I think you guys have done an amazing job with it but for a moment imagine if Michaelangelo couldn't stop trying to perfect David. One. More. Little. Chisel.

Italian Cuisine
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Italian Cuisine » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:57 pm

The biggest visual problem I have is that the logo text still isn't vertically justified within itself! Please, please fix that before 1.0! ;)
It's not spaghetti!

DanGio
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 6:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by DanGio » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:30 pm

IMO, september 2020 is a good choice. The word "polishing" really gives a small idea of the great amount of work that will be done until 1.0. We're gonna get a full campaign, and given the peeks we got in FFFs and the "Introduction" mission we have now, I expect a reeeally good experience from this. Also, every GUI, the sounds, the icons, .... the water ? we never speak about water, but it's still in low res, right ?

Can't wait to see the final product. But it deserves its crafting time.

Filter62
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Filter62 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:58 am

When game is ready for release even more than any AAA title years after release, and they still take another year to polish it... Dayumn maaaaaaaan... Best Developers ever. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGokcw1ajk

kachiun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:02 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by kachiun » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 am

25 september? Will be a nice birthday present for me :)

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Oktokolo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:28 am

Would be nice if the cover art would show something that would actually work ingame.

You might want to research, what else is released xmas 2020 - maybe, delaying or rushing your release a bit avoids it being shadowed by a pile of "AAA" titles clogging the mainstream games media...

User avatar
Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:40 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by Ohz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Am I the only one who feel some anger on this 1.0 annoucement?
I hope everything is ok....
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

ThunderFD
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by ThunderFD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm

kachiun wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 am
25 september? Will be a nice birthday present for me :)
Another one! :D

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users