Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Regular reports on Factorio development.
glee8e
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by glee8e » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm

For some reason I still prefer the original nonrotated grid... Perhaps it is just sort of personal taste. Is it possible to have it being a mod?

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by ske » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:39 pm

To all those who say that it looks wrong: Landfill is wrong, therefore it should look wrong.

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by Drury » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:14 am

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:00 pm
Oughties I could understand (and even RockPaperShotgun seems to have gotten worse in the recent years...), but game journalism websites in the 90's ?!?
Well, yes, a lot of the big ones date back to the 90s.
Image

User avatar
EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by EpicSlayer7666 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 am

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:00 pm
Oughties I could understand (and even RockPaperShotgun seems to have gotten worse in the recent years...), but game journalism websites in the 90's ?!?
also read all of this putting the calmest voice and no emotion in your head, cause i never have any... read all of this like reading ingredients on the back of a cereal box:

yeah most of the news people got on informatics/technology are from the 90s but what i mean is traditional media was the news source in the past and was a valid one in the 90s... right now would you trust CNN? i saw clips from CNN saying that "Global warming is not true" (really, did you not see the Tornadoes and Hurricanes? from 10 per year to 400 must have eluded you then.) since they had "colder temperatures"...

clearly a bias meant to control people who does not think... "Global warming" means the "overall temperature" is warming, "the poles" gets hotter, pushes the cold air out from the expansion and you get localized colder temperatures temporarily... meanwhile other places did get hotter ones... so to fight the ignorance, they changed it to "Climate Change" so they could "idiot proof" it a bit more. (i mean some one must of noticed the "change" in Hurricanes and Tornadoes right?)

PCgamers, Kotaku, Polygon, Vice, The Verge... same thing, they pop articles out to get hate clicks out of naratives more often than they ever do serious coverage of where "technology is at" and what "good games" to expect... you only hear them complain about games being too hard or having women with a cup bigger than B... i would ask them: "and? what about the game, was it fun? new concept? grounds braking? good looking? worth a replay when beaten? entertaining?" cause i could care less about their inclusivity points... cause in a game, the only orientation that matter is my cross-hair on the enemy's heads! (who Remembers FPS-Doug? 8-) )

and also what i mean about youtube is that, if you say: publicly, with your face in the open, "stupid crap", people can "point at you", an "individual" as an idiot and ridicule you... an article is written by people but... "to know who they are" (if you even care at all... usually just blame the site...) you need to find and read the article's "author's name" somewhere and maybe "contact them on twitter"... if you are lucky 1000 people will see it and like the tweet...

yet most articles are only read in the first paragraph and skipped OR even just the title...

tho this person will still be able to buy their groceries without having to hide their face under a hood or something... good luck being a publicly identifiable figure whom's face can be pointed at V.S. a text with your name attached to it. not to mention the site can blame the author and hire new ones... on YouTube, Your Face, Your Brand, Your responsibility and Your Fault and true honest opinion. even if you say you did not mean it... people will probably chase you with it...

Look at Pewd's N-Word incident... a word in a fit of rage... could you imagine a "10 minutes statement" (instead of 1 word) how it would not be ever forgotten? heck he is in trouble with those "Traditional Media" for choosing to give charity money to an other organization than the one who spoke ill of him and had done shady things in the past... but Traditional Media can get money from Hate Clicks from an article on a Big Target. (and Games Journalists are the only ones who insults their target audience... in other words Gamers!)

did you manage to read this to the end like ingredients on the back of a cereal box? ;P

User avatar
EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by EpicSlayer7666 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:10 am

Drury wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:14 am
BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:00 pm
Oughties I could understand (and even RockPaperShotgun seems to have gotten worse in the recent years...), but game journalism websites in the 90's ?!?
Well, yes, a lot of the big ones date back to the 90s.
yes... i should of wrote that lol... to me what i wrote was a 5 word statement... knowledge versus communication... takes 5 minutes hearing a sound file, but if you tried to read it... it would take hours of stating ones and zeros...

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1820
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am

Which ones ?

I don't know about you, but in the 90's I was reading paper magazines :
Image

Boardy
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:18 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by Boardy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:51 pm

Philip017 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:02 pm
as for the landfill graphic, it does indeed look better, it would be nice if some other suggestions were added as well,
- like the ability to dig it back up if we needed to, aka water fill
Removing land(fill) would create the possibility of having a moat and a "drawbridge" as a form of defense. Somewhat unfair.
- be able to place it under blueprints automatically, aka landfill everything
If you tick the tiling checkmark when making your BP, landfill is added. This only works when you make the blueprint on a landfilled area. Works great when laying rails on water.
- have it turn to grass over time, i am not a big fan of the brown..
It's a good reminder you "cheated" the natural landscape. If you are bothered by the brown, there are ample possibilities to change it to gray. ;)
- add fertilizer to turn it to grass, perhaps add seeds to grow trees as well?
Sounds more like a mod to me.

User avatar
EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by EpicSlayer7666 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:01 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am
Which ones ?

I don't know about you, but in the 90's I was reading paper magazines :
Image
not really much names that concretely comes to mind but PCgamer was a Paper magazine and it came with Demo CDs and around the 2000s it was DVDs and about 2010s even tho they had a site before, they stopped making Magazines and exclusively went online... (RIP DEMO CDs)

and around 2016 and up it is like they are mentally broke or something and stopped making content about what is good and just focused on the bad... and even then, right now they might have "good" takes on things but with that many bad ones, you do not know them for making good content anymore...

i see it like crying "wolf"... they did it to many times for me to go back. like some reverse streisand effect... they try to show things as bad and you end up thinking it must be good if they are bashing it! (like that Anime FireForce and Attack on Titan... since they bashed those, it must be good!)

User avatar
EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by EpicSlayer7666 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:10 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am
Which ones ?

I don't know about you, but in the 90's I was reading paper magazines :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Games

this is the Magazine i was talking of... tho i see that the articles is from a similarly named site... i may have mixed them but the principle of them going from paper to online still stays.

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1820
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:57 pm

It doesn't seem that they had a website with actual news rather than just teasers before 2003 EDIT : before early 2000 :
https://web.archive.org/web/20000229203 ... ndex.shtml

But anyway, my point too wasn't about the medium, but about the quality only really starting to decline a few years ago...
though I guess that trying to pinpoint the exact (half-) a decade is kind of nitpicking a this point.

I guess that the quality drop is linked to money coming mostly from advertising (clickbaaaaait!), rather than readers paying money up-front ? (See also : YouTube becoming profitable...)

User avatar
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1820
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:44 am

Aaand :
Factorio Developer Blames WoW Classic for Patch Delay

One thing to note about titles : the writer of an article generally doesn't have a say in under what title that article is going to be listed.
(Not sure whether that's the case for this one, obviously if the site is small enough so that the writer and the editor are the same person, this can't happen...)

An especially infamous example is 1968's Edsger W. Dijkstra's "A Case Against the Goto Statement" changed into "Go To Statement Considered Harmful" by the editor (though the practice is much older...)

Another example is how Ars Technica, when launching an article, tries out several alternative titles (shown to different people at the same time), to then settle for the most clickbaity one...

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by Bilka » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am

You can judge the quality of that article by the fact that they quote the PCGamesN article as the source, while also making it sound like Wube talked to PCGamesN.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by 5thHorseman » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 am

Bilka wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am
You can judge the quality of that article by the fact that they quote the PCGamesN article as the source, while also making it sound like Wube talked to PCGamesN.
Wube representative denies alleged link to PCGamesN inside sources.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3770
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by eradicator » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:09 am

Bilka wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am
You can judge the quality of that article by the fact that they quote the PCGamesN article as the source, while also making it sound like Wube talked to PCGamesN.
Or by the fact that they pretend that all the fluid mixing bugs are actually serious issues affecting the whole game. :lol:
Particularly since a significant number of problems have recently arisen
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by Bilka » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:13 am

5thHorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 am
Wube representative denies alleged link to PCGamesN inside sources.
Now I want to apply that to everything.

Wube representative allegedly bought tomatoes today! What does it mean!
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 3770
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by eradicator » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:19 am

Bilka wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:13 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 am
Wube representative denies alleged link to PCGamesN inside sources.
Now I want to apply that to everything.

Wube representative allegedly bought tomatoes today! What does it mean!
Wube admits to giving out "source access" to selected individuals! Is wube monetizing free work of community members?
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

User avatar
Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by Philip017 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:17 pm

any community code donations to improve the game is great for the game, if the community donates the code for free, and the game improves accordingly, then we all as players benefit, if wube gains additional sales as a result, it is a great side effect for the wube team. this does not mean that they are monetizing the freely donated work of the community imo.

User avatar
Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 3:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by Jon8RFC » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am

So I see a new change...was that office meeting for "QA testing" really an interview for boskid to become the QA guy?

Congrats, boskid, whatever your new position is!
Image

User avatar
boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by boskid » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

Jon8RFC wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am
Congrats, boskid, whatever your new position is!
Thanks, for now it is breaking stuff connected with learning how to write tests :)

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users