Friday Facts #311 - New remnants 3

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #311 - New remnants 3

Post by FactorioBot »

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #311 - New remnants 3

Post by Gergely »

Links don't work.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Gergely wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:11 pm
Links don't work.
Fixed. Thanks

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

The cyberman vibe is strong with this one.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Uhhh... now conveyor belts, walls, pipes and heat pipes are screaming for remnants that connect.

And let's not forget the copper cables of power poles.

I'm probably going too far. This should be technically achievable but like... not worth it.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

Wow, the graphics of that mod are unbelievable!

The rest sounds good too. I guess I'll try this instead of the 'tried and true' Bob+Angel run.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

why not include that mod into 0.17 vanilla?
In form of a scenario?
Last edited by brunzenstein on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuerian »

Those remants look pretty good and that mod looks amazing! I'm going to have to give it a try soon.
brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:26 pm
why not include that mod into 0.17 vanilla?
Featured or even Sponsored mods would be pretty awesome. Things like that and the Space mod.

I'm sure the sponsored thing would be complicated for plenty of reasons and lead to "but why not bobs or angels" but ah well.
Gergely wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 pm
Uhhh... now conveyor belts, walls, pipes and heat pipes are screaming for remnants that connect.

And let's not forget the copper cables of power poles.

I'm probably going too far. This should be technically achievable but like... not worth it.
At the very least, making the conveyor remnants visually match their proper orientation a little more. Most of it looks pretty good, but any linear segments look pretty awkward.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

That mod spotlight by a member of the dev team :D .
When I'm done with vanilla experience, I'm adding this in my must try list :).

I'm wondering : how will the remnants coexist with the automatic ghosts ? Or will the ghosts of destroyed structures be replaced by the remnants ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

Koub wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:31 pm
That mod spotlight by a member of the dev team :D .
When I'm done with vanilla experience, I'm adding this in my must try list :).

I'm wondering : how will the remnants coexist with the automatic ghosts ? Or will the ghosts of destroyed structures be replaced by the remnants ?
Ghosts are generally a big problem in this, and we are already thinking about revisiting ghosts in the future.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Most are recognizable, except a few of them:

Assembling machines:
It's just a pile of unrecognizable parts. I couldn't tell what it was till I compared it to the unbroken image.
The shell of the assembly machines is the most recognizable part but none of those colored panels are left. It's just a pile of non-descript machine parts that could feasibly belong to any of the machines in the game.

Roboport:
Similarly I could not identify this from it's remains. There's an odd blue thing in the pile and I kept trying to think of that entity has that, but even knowing it's a roboport I can't see where that attaches to the unbroken entity.
I would recommend keeping the spinning antenna thing visible somewhere in the pile. That'll definitely help.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

For example assembling machines are going to get their own remnants after the assembling machines are redesigned (as hinted in an earlier FFF) :)

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Those assembly machines from the Industrial revolution mod are looking like a quite nicely done compromise between the „classic“ Factorio type and the advanced from the NPE.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I've never seen community spotlight steal the show quite to this degree :lol:

Nice remnants guys. Especially fond of the car, sorta comically spreading its wheels apart.

Only one little constructive suggestion, maybe make the rubble extend out of its tile more? Might help with the odd tiled look.

EDIT: Then again, maybe that comes more from the sample grid used for the background here.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Drury wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 pm
Only one little constructive suggestion, maybe make the rubble extend out of its tile more? Might help with the odd tiled look.
I can assure you, artists would love to do that :D

Antyradek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Antyradek »

I'm afraid you are losing grip on the amount of mods there are. Thousands of small scripts, unbalanced tweaks and unknown gems.
This mod will likely soon be buried beneath everything.

I think you need some sort of way to sort this thing before it's too late. Minetest (opensource Minecraft with Lua mods) does this pretty well.

For me, the complete must would be:
- Mods enabled per-map not per installation. So you can have multiple sets of mods for multiple maps.
- Mods downloaded when connecting to the server, so anyone can always play without installing anything.

Maybe some way to "feature" especially successful sets of mods, together with proper balance.

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

Antyradek wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 pm
I'm afraid you are losing grip on the amount of mods there are. Thousands of small scripts, unbalanced tweaks and unknown gems.
This mod will likely soon be buried beneath everything.

I think you need some sort of way to sort this thing before it's too late. Minetest (opensource Minecraft with Lua mods) does this pretty well.

For me, the complete must would be:
- Mods enabled per-map not per installation. So you can have multiple sets of mods for multiple maps.
- Mods downloaded when connecting to the server, so anyone can always play without installing anything.

Maybe some way to "feature" especially successful sets of mods, together with proper balance.
I do agree (strongly) that the mod portal desperately needs to be updated before 1.0. More specifically, the discover-ability of mods is horrendous.

The other changes you requested are probably flat-out impossible without a complete redesign of the game engine.
Don't forget, you're here forever.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

When spotlighting Industrial Revolution "boring vanilla" was used a couple of times in reference to certain aspects of gameplay. Will the devs then be addressing those "boring vanilla" parts before 1.0?

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

posila wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:35 pm
Drury wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:31 pm
I can assure you, artists would love to do that :D
Didn't expect it to be problematic, considering no moving entities can ever be rendered behind the rubble. I suppose it's more of a resolution/VRAM problem mixed with not having a high enough priority to tamper with existing code.

Antyradek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Antyradek »

All those remnants look cool but once you have roboports all over the place, all of those graphics are hidden behind ghosts.
I can no longer watch my factory getting beautifully wrecked, I get unreadable mix.

What about removing ghosts for destroyed buildings in the area of roboport? Or at least add this option in menu?
scr.png
scr.png (3.66 MiB) Viewed 12524 times
(Yes, I nuked my factory just for the screenshot.)

Return to “News”