Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Post Reply

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3877
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Koub » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:24 pm

It reminds me of Claptrap XD

[Edit] I forgot to tell the most important : I think the idea is brilliant. As always, whatever many suggestions we make, the devs always manage to surprise me the right way with either an idea if their own, or a twist on the community's suggestions they choose to implement.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

User avatar
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Drury » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Hopefully less annoying though ;)
Image

Skeletpiece
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Skeletpiece » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:32 pm

:)

User avatar
Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 1:56 am

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Reika » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Please tell me the robot assistant is only in the tutorial campaign, or has an option to disable it. I do not want a Factorio version of Clippit/Clippy/whatever the name of that awful waste of space and attention is.
Last edited by Reika on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Proxy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:37 pm

the robot looks like a Minecraft sheep with the face of basically anything in Enter the Gungeon

like seriously, it's just this face

Image

combined with this body

Image

and it's amazing.

also i noticed the red assembler... tier 4 assemblers?
new stuff? maybe finally water platforms repalcing landfill?

lastly, Hi my name is...
Last edited by Proxy on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's just wait til the Age of Iron Stars

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by eradicator » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Koub wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:24 pm
It reminds me of Claptrap XD
And Ninja-Claptrap! ;). Easily one of the best characters in Borderlands. But writing a good "funny sidekick" is not an easy job at all.
Wheybags wrote: Allow accessing Lua scripts by __MOD-NAME__/script.lua style path, so you can reference the same Lua scripts from multiple scenarios in one mod.
Does this have any limitations or does it universally apply? I.e. can things like the factorio-stdlib now suddenly be used without requiring every mod that wants to use it to copy all the files? Can my mod now magically "local tools = require __boblibrary__/tools.lua? If yes this is a pretty hefty paradigm change, and a very welcome one.
Last edited by eradicator on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 919
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by ratchetfreak » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 pm

this gives me an idea for a assitant mod where you can send compilatron and access buildings through him

though it's going to be tricky regarding inventory and only letting his inventory (if any) interact with the buildings.

victhor003
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by victhor003 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 pm

FINALLY AAI Mod will have a proper AI and will be able to open gates!!! Just amazing =D
Also you are doing a great job with the update so far guys, Keep up!

someone1337
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by someone1337 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:51 pm

This sounds awesome.

Could you make it a slow and stupid helper unit, that you can for example tell to "stand here and slowly mine that coal and bring it to a building", and/or make it a slow construction-bot
Last edited by someone1337 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthias_Wlkp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Matthias_Wlkp » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Biter campaign confirmed!

Amarula
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Amarula » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Reika wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm
Please tell me the robot assistant is only in the tutorial campaign, or has an option to disable it.
Compilatron will be great for the tutorial! (like the companion cube in portal squee)

I would suggest it be turned off by default in regular gameplay, with an option to turn it on when the player needs it.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by torham » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Jesus Christ, not another annoying critter to tell me what to do! I absolutely detest the helper bot in Fortresscraft, and is the main reason why I do not play that game. Now you say you want to bring that stupid thing into Factorio???KHBN Y!E*(&YIUASHDJKXCNJAYHD(*&"£ :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:

fendy3002
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by fendy3002 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Amarula wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 pm
Reika wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm
Please tell me the robot assistant is only in the tutorial campaign, or has an option to disable it.
Compilatron will be great for the tutorial! (like the companion cube in portal squee)

I would suggest it be turned off by default in regular gameplay, with an option to turn it on when the player needs it.
Then devs will need to maintain 2 version of message popup, 1 said by compilatron and another for non-compilatron mode.

Not that I disagree with the option though. I think maybe compilatron at later stage can prefer some usability (like able to put charging station for power armor or defense laser or extra inventory).

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Klonan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:04 pm

Reika wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm
Please tell me the robot assistant is only in the tutorial campaign, or has an option to disable it. I do not want a Factorio version of Clippit/Clippy/whatever the name of that awful waste of space and attention is.
Yes it will be Campaign/Tutorial only

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by tk0421 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 pm

A red factory?

CzBuCHi
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:25 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by CzBuCHi » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Nice, but first two questings that pop in my head are:
1) What happend when player shot at compilatron? (will shot back or just politely send player somewhere?)
2) What happend when compilatron have close encounter with train? :)

User avatar
H8UL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by H8UL » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Cute! This makes me want to go back and play the tutorial and campaign when it comes out :D
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

quyxkh
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 am

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by quyxkh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Just tell me there'll be a way to make Compilatron angry. Kill one, another appears? But only on April 1?

User avatar
Omnifarious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Re: Friday Facts #262 - Hello my name is: Compilatron

Post by Omnifarious » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:28 pm

I think this is nifty, and a really great solution to a bunch of tutorial mode problems.

My main worry is that it will take away from the lonely castaway feeling of the game. And it's only a worry, a point of concern. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, just that you should consider this change by applying a few different lenses to how you view the game and possibly adjusting accordingly.

As I said, it really helps out with making the tutorial missions be a lot more cohesive and sensible. And I can also see how Compilatron might work as an early game robot who is both useful, and so painful to use that construction robots are still a big win. Having something else tediously place all the buildings one-by-one, something that is constrained to move on land, is almost as bad as having to do it yourself.
Last edited by Omnifarious on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “News”