Friday Facts #231 - Belt compression & Crash log uploading

Regular reports on Factorio development.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #231 - Belt compression & Crash log uploading

Post by DanGio »

Great !

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Thank you for finally addressing privacy. I have been dealing with log files myself and I can't help but wonder why people still feel unsafe about it. OR/AND worry about those who do not even care.

I still recommend not even making this an option though.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Do you have an affected Ryzen processor yourself for running tests on?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

ske wrote:Do you have an affected Ryzen processor yourself for running tests on?
Nope, we were thinking of possibly getting one. But the issue is still very rare and we will most probably not be able to trigger the crash on our computer.
Last time we got and AMD computer with weird hardware we did a few tests and now it's mostly collecting dust.

Lorash
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lorash »

Here's a crazy idea: try making a release with optimization settings changed for that one function and see if the frequency of crash reports change. There's a chance you found an erratum, maybe another instance of this one? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ixed&num=1

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I never had many problems when you added this and this reassured me a bit, however I'm still going to leave it disabled, for the following reasons:
  • 1. I'm going to upload it here anyway
    2. I can provide much more information on the forum than a single log
    3. There are many bugs that don't involve crashes, and in those cases a log won't get sent
    4. In the hypothetical case I try to reproduce a crash and in the process the game crashes 10 times, you have no way of knowing that 10 different people didn't suddenly have the same crash
Again, nothing against them doing this, those are just my reasons for opting out.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Omarflyjoemacky »

As always, awesome FFF. Awfully grateful for the belt compression.

I'm surprised in this day and age, people would still be upset about you devs knowing how much RAM they have. I have no problem with the crash log reporting - it makes for a better game in the long run. Keep up the great work.
"And then Bender ran."

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

If you can't find the bug, it is 90% chance that this is thread synchronization.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

Jap2.0 wrote:4. In the hypothetical case I try to reproduce a crash and in the process the game crashes 10 times, you have no way of knowing that 10 different people didn't suddenly have the same crash
chances are high there's a lot of info in the log or dump that is so unique it must be either the same savegame or the same mod being used so they'll pretty fast figure out it's the same system/person even without having any other traceable information that leads back to you

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Why not connect the uploaded crash log with the logged in user credentials and in the user area there is a overview of my own crash logs with a case number which i can quote in the forum?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Twinsen wrote:
ske wrote:Do you have an affected Ryzen processor yourself for running tests on?
Nope, we were thinking of possibly getting one. But the issue is still very rare and we will most probably not be able to trigger the crash on our computer.
Last time we got and AMD computer with weird hardware we did a few tests and now it's mostly collecting dust.
There was talk about compiler crashes on earlier versions of the processors. AMD offers replacement for those earlier processors that are affected by the compiler crashes. Threadripper/EPYCs were already fixed for that particular crash type at release. It might be some weird caching problem that occurs in conjunction with tight loops. Do you check and include the CPU stepping in the crash logs?

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

I must confess
Congratulations on the bugs you've already fixed, and best of luck to you as you try to find the mysterious bug!
As always, it was a great FFF!
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

dasiro wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:4. In the hypothetical case I try to reproduce a crash and in the process the game crashes 10 times, you have no way of knowing that 10 different people didn't suddenly have the same crash
chances are high there's a lot of info in the log or dump that is so unique it must be either the same savegame or the same mod being used so they'll pretty fast figure out it's the same system/person even without having any other traceable information that leads back to you
True. They might think it's very common for me, though, even if it was actually rare. Good point nonetheless.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

ixnorp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ixnorp »

You've made the right choices regarding crash logs. You'll never make everyone 100% happy no matter what you do, but this will make the largest number of people happy in the long run.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Its so true that people would never send crash dumps to you. I click "don't send" automatically out of habit. I have been doing it ever since internet became a thing( 17+ years). I do not know of an instance where anyone would send a crash log to microsoft, and it would actually solve something. I think that message is there just to troll.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

While it has potential I am not happy with compression just yet
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=57998
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58046
And some splitter compression bugs related to its small internal buffer

Waiting patiently for those to be fixed!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Woo, lines 13, 26 and 27. Bobingabout contributions~
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

can you tell us which Ryzen CPU is affected or when it is happening (what are players doing)? So it might be tested by players?
Have Ryzen 7 1700X myself on 2 PC ^^

Wubinator
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wubinator »

Why not ask for the opt-in / opt-out once in the main menu for the people who haven't made a choice yet.

Show it in a popup over the main menu, that way it isn't much different than the release notes popup. Because people aren't in a active game they have the time to read the information in the popup. And you can tell more details if you want to because the size wouldn't matter anymore.
Useful information I can think of: tell what it's for and where in the options people can disable it.
And I don't know if this still an issue in certain area's but maybe tell about the average file size for people with bandwidth caps

Highlight the opt-in button as the default for the people that just hit enter to hide the box?

You can show the same information again with a tool tip on the option in the menu

Maybe it's also an option (for those that opted out) to see some kind of alert icon in the main menu when there are crash logs so people could still cherry-pick crash logs to commit.

Return to “News”