Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Post Reply

Masterfox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Masterfox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:42 pm

And here comes the shitstorm for 32-bit, I guess.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by keyboardhack » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:51 pm

I guess all 32 bit users should be allowed a refund.
Waste of bytes : P

MimigaKing
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by MimigaKing » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:53 pm

keyboardhack wrote:I guess all 32 bit users should be allowed a refund.
depends really, they aren't being kicked out of their ability to play the game as they can still and will forever be able to play 0.14.9 or earlier.

Tilendor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Tilendor » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:56 pm

keyboardhack wrote:I guess all 32 bit users should be allowed a refund.
Giving the option seems honorable. They still do have a completely working game with the current version. Just means they don't get upgrades.

Also, the upgrade check logic should respect their system stats. Don't attempt to auto-update 32 bit systems when it is impossible.

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by mooklepticon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:56 pm

You know, looking at those rail pictures, why doesn't the recipe require wood?

tfalucifer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:42 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by tfalucifer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm

mooklepticon wrote:You know, looking at those rail pictures, why doesn't the recipe require wood?
Mind = blown

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 9981
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Rseding91 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Tilendor wrote:
keyboardhack wrote:I guess all 32 bit users should be allowed a refund.
Giving the option seems honorable. They still do have a completely working game with the current version. Just means they don't get upgrades.

Also, the upgrade check logic should respect their system stats. Don't attempt to auto-update 32 bit systems when it is impossible.
Or they could simply switch to a 64 bit OS. Virtually all hardware these days supports it anyway.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Dharmy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Dharmy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Woo! I'm finally in the 1%!

User avatar
aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1264
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by aubergine18 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Those new rails look awesome! Can't wait to see the hi res graphics rolled out in 0.15. Hope you will provide some detailed infos for modders as to how to include both hi-res and normal-res images in a mod.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by IronCartographer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:16 pm

Has anyone mentioned the possibility of integrating signals into the rail using a UI just like how belts are now configurable? It would remove signal entities and allow for some interesting artistic changes.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Zeblote » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:18 pm

The new rails no longer require a diagonal piece between curves and can make perfect circles, right?

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:23 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by hoho » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:33 pm

keyboardhack wrote:I guess all 32 bit users should be allowed a refund.
I'm almost certain that Factorio doesn't really work on a pure 32bit machine (early Pentium4's and AMD XP's from some 10-ish years ago at latest). Anyone else who for whatever reason doesn't have 64bit Windows (at some point you could get a free upgrade from 32 to 64bit from MS) can just get a 64bit Linux for free.

Or, as has been said, keep playing the current 32bit versions of the game for as long as they wish.

User avatar
steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by steinio » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Zeblote wrote:The new rails no longer require a diagonal piece between curves and can make perfect circles, right?
Maybe even a s-curve :shock:
Image
Transport Belt Repair Man
My little mods: Link | My favourite mods: Bob's Mods | Angel's Mods | Yuoki Railway Core | EvoGUI | Logistic Train Network
Factorio Cheat Sheet by Denis Zholob

View unread Posts

Masterfox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Masterfox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm

hoho wrote:
keyboardhack wrote:I guess all 32 bit users should be allowed a refund.
I'm almost certain that Factorio doesn't really work on a pure 32bit machine (early Pentium4's and AMD XP's from some 10-ish years ago at latest). Anyone else who for whatever reason doesn't have 64bit Windows (at some point you could get a free upgrade from 32 to 64bit from MS) can just get a 64bit Linux for free.

Or, as has been said, keep playing the current 32bit versions of the game for as long as they wish.
Actually, this is not true. My PC still has a 32-bit processor, an AMD Sempron 140 and still is able to play factorio with bobs mods. So that is really just not true.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Jonathan88 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Those rails! They look so awesome :D
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

User avatar
LuziferSenpai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by LuziferSenpai » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:51 pm

It looks good and ugly, because look at the Rails they wood on the rails are overlapping etc. ._.
Coding is awesome!
Animes are love!
Factorio is life!

My MODs:
Click

Greetz,

Senpai

bbgun06
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by bbgun06 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 pm

The new rails are an improvement, but they don't look very good to me. The size and spacing of the ties, and the overall width of the tracks, are different between horizontal and vertical.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by Zeblote » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:11 pm

Zeblote wrote:The new rails no longer require a diagonal piece between curves and can make perfect circles, right?
Oh god... it looks like they do...

Image

Please tell me you didn't just make new textures without fixing this first?!?

Image

User avatar
SoulForge
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday facts #158 - The end of the 32 bit era

Post by SoulForge » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Masterfox wrote:
hoho wrote:
keyboardhack wrote:I guess all 32 bit users should be allowed a refund.
I'm almost certain that Factorio doesn't really work on a pure 32bit machine (early Pentium4's and AMD XP's from some 10-ish years ago at latest). Anyone else who for whatever reason doesn't have 64bit Windows (at some point you could get a free upgrade from 32 to 64bit from MS) can just get a 64bit Linux for free.

Or, as has been said, keep playing the current 32bit versions of the game for as long as they wish.
Actually, this is not true. My PC still has a 32-bit processor, an AMD Sempron 140 and still is able to play factorio with bobs mods. So that is really just not true.
That processor supports 64bit. Your OS may not be 64bit but the processor supports it.

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users