Friday Facts #127 - Steam Status III: Thank You

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Friday Facts #127 - Steam Status III: Thank You

Post by Koub »

0.12.24 is indeed the 0.12 stable release.
0.12.23 was supposed to be the 0.12 stable, but lost this privilège upon discovery of a pair of last minute bugs.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

I don't get it. Factorio has been in the top ten best sellers on Steam since launch, and yet the counter on the website has only gone up by around 500. Does it only count the web page purchases?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

torham wrote:I don't get it. Factorio has been in the top ten best sellers on Steam since launch, and yet the counter on the website has only gone up by around 500. Does it only count the web page purchases?
Yes, the steam sales are not included in the counter.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

kovarex wrote: Yes, the steam sales are not included in the counter.
Still busy counting money?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ske wrote:
kovarex wrote: Yes, the steam sales are not included in the counter.
Still busy counting money?
Steam counts it for us, but yes, the sales are quite nice, though, we will probably provide some numbers in next fff.

We are mainly busy by sorting out bug reports, answering mails etc. :)

Hunab
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hunab »

Factorio is now number 1 game on Steam, if you sort by user reviews.
Congratulations, and well deserved (according to me and multiple people I talked with)

(edit: spelling error)
Last edited by Hunab on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Yes, we want to see the sales with steam! :D
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hunab wrote:Factorio is now number 1 game on Steam, if you sort by user reviews.
Congratulations, and well deserved (according to me and multiple people I talked with)

(edit: spelling error)
Wow! I made a fb post, as this is success!

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Okay, to be honest, nearly every review is from a person who already knows the game and participates in this forum - but still, that are great news. :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I have actually scrolled through many reviews, and quite a number of them are from what seem to be new players. New players who, when I saw their reviews this week-end, already had in the 10-20ish hours of Factorio.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Looking at the negative reviews in English:
  • 3 from pre-steam players
  • 3 from new players
  • 1 idk (Good game but impossible multiplayer, after 0.6 hours)
  • 1 troll (TOO MANY POSITIVE COMMENTS!!!)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

der.Schtefan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by der.Schtefan »

Do you think 20.-- is a good price? It looks so odd compared to the 19.99 of the other games on Steam.

Will you post a sales counter for Steam sales? I think I'm not the only one who is curious about how many copies you've sold on Steam.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

der.Schtefan wrote:Do you think 20.-- is a good price? It looks so odd compared to the 19.99 of the other games on Steam.
Every time i see a .99 price, I feel as I have been spat in the face. "psychological barrier" is kind of trying to lure deficient brain into making think the price is lower than it is. I despise all people using this, and hope they burn in hell, just between the guy who invented autoplay videos and flash ads. :evil: So I'm quite glad Wube software has decided not to do so :mrgreen:.
der.Schtefan wrote:Will you post a sales counter for Steam sales? I think I'm not the only one who is curious about how many copies you've sold on Steam.
Second that. The devs have said they'd give us some numbers soon, which I highly anticipate.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Koub wrote:
der.Schtefan wrote:Do you think 20.-- is a good price? It looks so odd compared to the 19.99 of the other games on Steam.
Every time i see a .99 price, I feel as I have been spat in the face. "psychological barrier" is kind of trying to lure deficient brain into making think the price is lower than it is. I despise all people using this, and hope they burn in hell, just between the guy who invented autoplay videos and flash ads. :evil: So I'm quite glad Wube software has decided not to do so :mrgreen:.
der.Schtefan wrote:Will you post a sales counter for Steam sales? I think I'm not the only one who is curious about how many copies you've sold on Steam.
Second that. The devs have said they'd give us some numbers soon, which I highly anticipate.
the .99 is even worse when the only way to get money into the account is using round numbers (cough psn cough)

I mean if they want to have "a buy 100 items and get $1 discount" then do so explicitly.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Koub wrote:
Yes, exactly. Whenever I see .99 price, I think: "Why are you wasting the processing power of my brain, by this shit?" The sad part is, that we could set it just for non dollar prices, the dollar price has only fixed options X.99, that really annoyed me.

LyrickCZE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LyrickCZE »

Well, one thing is personal block against .99 prices, second one is the fact it is a working bussiness trick.

If I was selling it, it would look like this:
49.99$ ONLY TODAY for just 19.99$
Don't miss this ONLY CHANCE!!!
<rob> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
<bawss> Right click.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

LyrickCZE wrote:Well, one thing is personal block against .99 prices, second one is the fact it is a working bussiness trick.

If I was selling it, it would look like this:
49.99$ ONLY TODAY for just 19.99$
Don't miss this ONLY CHANCE!!!
It's funny because this is exactly what was going on a week before Steam release.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is obviously untrue. The devs have never lied about the base price and trying to pretend full price was a sales price. People were just warned of the future raise in price, and that was all. Every indie game I have tried that was successeful enough during Aplha (like Minecraft for example) used the same logic : the earlier you support the game, the least you pay to get the game. The more the game is advanced in dev process, the most people have to pay to get it. And I'm perfectly fine with this.

der.Schtefan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by der.Schtefan »

LyrickCZE wrote:Well, one thing is personal block against .99 prices, second one is the fact it is a working bussiness trick.
That's why I asked my initial question: the team posted a list of games ordered by user opinion, and they showed up first. However, everybody on the list is selling for x.99, just factorio is a solid 20.-- Psychological pricing, as much as you might hate it, is proven to work, especially if you are able to observe other sellers prices (a.o.: study from Ruffle & Shtudiner in 2006).

Just food for thought. Judging from the numbers on the website they sold 1300 copies since February 24th?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

der.Schtefan wrote:Just food for thought. Judging from the numbers on the website they sold 1300 copies since February 24th?
Just to keep it in mind : The website counter is only for games sold from the website, not from Steam.

Return to “News”