We decided to start working on the automated testing of Factorio, we are not sure whether call it unit testing or integration testing as it will be something inbetween, but we know that we need to start with it soon,
yes there are few simple unit test from the ancient days of Factorio, but that is it.
The main reasons for that are:
- The 0.8.5 and 0.7.5 took quite a long time to stabilise and we are quite sure there are problems that are just waiting to be found.
- The automated testing pays off in the long time, but until now we were very uncertain if the long run will even occur ...
- The game is getting more and more complex, almost every new concept interacts with every other concept already there.
- We want to refactor and optimise a lot, and tests allows us to do it with much more confidence.
- We learned, that some bugs are hard to notice for a long time, this was especially true for the crucial logistics system bugs that were there for the whole 0.6.4 and 0.7.5 versions.
Tomas is now preparing the engine for more complex pipe related machines. Some of the new pipe-integratable machines will have much more freedom in the settings of the pipe connections, this will be also useful for mods that would like to have different pipe mechanics. His 2X2 storage tank entity with is already working and using the new system.
There are still many steps that needs to be done for the basics of the oil industry:
- Add input/output liquid connections to Assembling machines
- Different liquid types
- Different pipe categories (we plan 2 pipe types that will not connect with each other, to allow player have two distinct pipes next to each other, aka the buildcraft style)
- Liquid requirements/result specification in recipes
- Destilation tower
- Oil platforms and resources.
- Burning towers
- pumps (Not like the offshore one, this would work in the factory to speed up resources/specify direction)
I made already some small preparations of the blueprints functionality, we made some more specific specifiation how will the blueprint stored.
The player takes the empty blueprint item to cursor, and select rectangle (by holding the build button), the selected area will be stored into the blueprint item.
Once the blueprint item is filled, player can build it by right clicking same as it was normal item, it will just build more items (in the ghost state, to be built by construction robots) at the same time.
The blueprints will not be stackable, and it will show overview of the blueprint in the tooltip, the question still is, how should the item icon look like, if they are all the same it would be messy, but the icon is too small to put the overview there, one of the options is to just put letters A,B,C there, or/and numbers, but this still seems confusing.
Happy new year
I believe, that this year we made a lot of improvements of Factorio and we hope to keep our dedication for the next year. There is lot of we are looking forward: Oil industry, automated construction, more diverse factory, different and variable energy sources, biomes and more diverse enviroment, extended enemies, doomsday like weapons and mainly multiplayer.
We have small improvised party here in our Factorio headquarters, we hope you enjoy the new years the way you like the most, happy new year.