Friday Facts #110 - Tech art finished

Regular reports on Factorio development.
JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #110 - Tech art finished

Post by JackGruff »

MushroomDynamo wrote:it'll be hard to appreciate these gorgeous pictures ingame if I need a small telescope to make them out
I agree.

Also, I spy two "rocket defense" icons.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

JackGruff wrote:
Also, I spy two "rocket defense" icons.
First one in the one before last row and?

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

oLaudix wrote: First one in the one before last row and?
6th on the same row. I guess it'll be a 0.13 thing.

yago2003
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yago2003 »

i think i found a technology icon for a new technology that i dont recognize, 12 down and 5 to the right, the one with the rocket, does this mean you will be able to go to space?

AlexTheNotsogreat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AlexTheNotsogreat »

Something tells me that there will be new research nodes with this, such as two spacecraft-based nodes, some box... things, and lots of other unusual ones! :lol:

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

I'm still wondering how the technology icons will look in game. They look bloody awesome in the large view in the FFF post, but in game they will become much smaller sprites (I assume). So I'm not sure if all the amazing detail will still be visible or if maybe the tiny resolution will instead make some of the icons hard to identify.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm, they can make them bigger in game. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wyrm »

Mr. Fusion is cute, but may lead to legal trouble. I suggest a more unique-looking fusion reactor.

anstow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by anstow »

jorgenRe wrote:Im sorry for being picky about the molucles yet again :lol:

Also i still get the correct coffenie molecule ready for use ;)!
Notice the extra bound.

!
I believe this caffeine molecule isn't quite right either: there is a missing hydrogen atom on the bottom most carbon atom.

Nasabot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nasabot »

I just updated to 1.17 (though I saw the tech icons before) and my opinion on this is, that the improved tech icons are a waste of resources. Sorry, I know, that you dont want to hear this as the new icons were made in good intentions to improve the game, but in my opinion they are unnessassary and are maybe even worse than the old ones.

Icons should be a symbolical eye catcher. A good icon does not shine by many details and eleborated graphics, but by SIMPLICITY and its ability to represent an object or a topic fast. (like a light bulb for science)

Well, actually I dont mean, that the new icons are bad by any means, but the old ones were PERFECTLY FINE and did their job well (or even better), so I dont understand, why they were changed.

However, even though the game is pretty good in its current state, there are a lot things which could use some balancing and rework in order to enrich the gameplay in a meaningful way. Please dont waste your brain on creating fancy graphical stuff, but on creating smart game mechanics ;) I guess the playerbase who plays factorio is not interested in graphical quality too much, else they would play games like anno 2205.
Player(at least I) who play factorio want a complex building simulator which has a lot of finesse, balanced possibilities, challange and long term replayability.

I am sure you knew this, I just wanted to remember you ;)

RepairMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RepairMan »

Nasabot wrote:I just updated to 1.17 (though I saw the tech icons before) and my opinion on this is, that the improved tech icons are a waste of resources. Sorry, I know, that you dont want to hear this as the new icons were made in good intentions to improve the game, but in my opinion they are unnessassary and are maybe even worse than the old ones.

Icons should be a symbolical eye catcher. A good icon does not shine by many details and eleborated graphics, but by SIMPLICITY and its ability to represent an object or a topic fast. (like a light bulb for science)

Well, actually I dont mean, that the new icons are bad by any means, but the old ones were PERFECTLY FINE and did their job well (or even better), so I dont understand, why they were changed.

However, even though the game is pretty good in its current state, there are a lot things which could use some balancing and rework in order to enrich the gameplay in a meaningful way. Please dont waste your brain on creating fancy graphical stuff, but on creating smart game mechanics ;) I guess the playerbase who plays factorio is not interested in graphical quality too much, else they would play games like anno 2205.
Player(at least I) who play factorio want a complex building simulator which has a lot of finesse, balanced possibilities, challange and long term replayability.

Some Friday Facts before they were talking about placeholder graphics and where the alien research icon comes from, you might wanna read it because thats part of the reason the have redone the tech icons.
TODO List:
1. Build a von Neumann Probe Factory
2. Build a AI wich controls the factory
3. Send it all into space and watch as planets get eaten by it
4. PROFIT

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

Nasabot wrote:I just updated to 1.17 (though I saw the tech icons before) and my opinion on this is, that the improved tech icons are a waste of resources. Sorry, I know, that you dont want to hear this as the new icons were made in good intentions to improve the game, but in my opinion they are unnessassary and are maybe even worse than the old ones.

You know the old tech icons and they looked like the item you wanted to research but after a while you'll get used to the new graphics

(i have the same problem :lol: )

Overread
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Overread »

My only problem with the new tech icons is that for research options which have levels (like bullet damage or transport belts etc..) the icon has no difference in appearance barring a tiny number that is very easily missed. A bigger visual change would be greatly appreciated even if its just changing the primary colour of one or two segments of the icon to reflect different "levels"

Return to “News”