Friday Facts #10

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Friday Facts #10

Post by slpwnd » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:18 pm


rsdworker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:50 am

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by rsdworker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 pm

looks nice

LoSboccacc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by LoSboccacc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:07 pm

does reconstruction take the full amount of resources?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by Gammro » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:34 pm

It's friday again!!! I seriously can't wait until release. The terrain looks great, and the roboport and repair bots sound awesome.


Btw: are those 2 types of water?
Ignore this

User avatar
EstebanLB
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:00 am

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by EstebanLB » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:49 pm

And what abut the settings, resources and modules that were in the building before its destruction? Will they be restored or preserved in some way?

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by wrtlprnft » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:52 pm

LoSboccacc wrote:does reconstruction take the full amount of resources?
According to the blog entry, reconstruction only happens if the exact item corresponding to the destroyed entity is available, so I guess that's consumed.

Repairs would be more interesting, considering that the player can currently “repair” for free.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10393
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by ssilk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 pm

EstebanLB wrote:And what abut the settings, resources and modules that were in the building before its destruction? Will they be restored or preserved in some way?
I guess, but destruction means for me, it is destructed, gone, away, not more there. :) What might be restructed is the settings, hat should be easy. But it's eventually complicated, when a smart inserter needs a wire to a not repaired pole...

I think, we (the community) 'll see.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 6665
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by kovarex » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:40 pm

wrtlprnft wrote:Repairs would be more interesting, considering that the player can currently “repair” for free.
More about repairs in the last random ramblings: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =38&t=1650
In other words, repairs are already done.
EstebanLB wrote:And what abut the settings, resources and modules that were in the building before its destruction? Will they be restored or preserved in some way?
The reconstruction is really applied when the building is completely destroyed, all the modules and contents are lost.
On the other hand some of the settings are kept (request settings of requester chests, filters of filter inserters, assembling machine recipe etc.)
There are some things that will not be rebuilt now, maybe next release
  • The connection to the circuit network (between machines as well as between electric poles).
  • The connection of the train station to the schedule.
  • And other stuff that will be found for sure.
The good thing is, that this funcionality is practically preparation for the blueprints as applying the blueprint will create these ghost buildings as well, and the rest will be the same principle as when rebuilding, but blueprints will not be in this release, just to make sure :)

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10393
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by ssilk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Great idea to combine that with repair. ^^

Would it be possible to create the ghost buildings myself? And is it possible to "rebuild" a building which is ghosted by myself?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by Garm » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:39 am

I am actually more curious about different shades of water in the picture :)

Is it just graphical only? like ocean\swamp? or somewhat more functional (fresh/salty).....or I dare to say clean\polluted? :twisted:

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by slpwnd » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:36 am

Garm wrote:I am actually more curious about different shades of water in the picture :)

Is it just graphical only? like ocean\swamp? or somewhat more functional (fresh/salty).....or I dare to say clean\polluted? :twisted:
At the moment it is just a graphical variant. Though we were thinking about the in-game functionality. Something like swamps which would be a terrain where you can walk (and enemies too), but you cannot build.

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by Coolthulhu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:17 am

I like the swamp tiles. They look like there's lots of interesting stuff to do with them, like drying or extracting stuff from them. Can they collide with water or is it currently just one or the other?

Rebuild bots are great, though they still won't remove the anti-OCD less-than-100% lifebars from damaged walls. Are automatic repairs in plans or maybe even implemented already?

Now a bunch of questions, organized so that they don't look like a total clusterfuck:

1. Are bots still released into the air by the player? If so, how do they find the port if 2 are available?
2. Can the roboport have bots inserted/removed by inserters?
3. Are bots repaired in the port?
4. What happens to bots with underpowered (<100% energy) ports?
5. Can ports be "chained" to share resources over a large area?
  • If they can, does the area traveled by a bot need to be entirely within covered area or can it be just in the convex hull (smallest convex polygon encompassing the area)?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 1838
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by slpwnd » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:42 am

Coolthulhu wrote:Are automatic repairs in plans or maybe even implemented already?
Done already.
Coolthulhu wrote:Now a bunch of questions, organized so that they don't look like a total clusterfuck:
The concept of the robot tower (roboport) is work in progress at the moment. So the answers are in regard how we picture it will be, not how it is atm. It is quite possible that we will not have time to implement all the functionality and will have to do some simplifications.
Coolthulhu wrote:1. Are bots still released into the air by the player? If so, how do they find the port if 2 are available?
The robots will have to be put into the port.
Coolthulhu wrote:2. Can the roboport have bots inserted/removed by inserters?
Yes.
Coolthulhu wrote:3. Are bots repaired in the port?
At the moment the plan is to repair them during the charging. Though this is still questionable.
Coolthulhu wrote:4. What happens to bots with underpowered (<100% energy) ports?
Tricky. When the port runs out of energy it will stop transmitting the radio signal. Effectively shutting down. This will be compensated by the port having an internal buffer that will allow it to stay powered for a while even after the electricity goes out.
Coolthulhu wrote:5. Can ports be "chained" to share resources over a large area?
Yes.
Coolthulhu wrote:If they can, does the area traveled by a bot need to be entirely within covered area or can it be just in the convex hull (smallest convex polygon encompassing the area)?
It should be within the covered area. One point of the ports is to create separate logistic areas (the main base, the exp, etc.)

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by RawCode » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:04 am

ghost structure decay shoud be way longer then 5 minutes, maybe single hour?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by Gammro » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 am

Are you already complaining about the balancing of an unreleased patch?
Ignore this

User avatar
Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by Dysoch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:48 am

RawCode wrote:ghost structure decay shoud be way longer then 5 minutes, maybe single hour?
I think any longer then five minutes is considered cheating. If you dont have it, and the ghost building is gone, you werent fast enough. To my opinion it should be 2 minutes max. But i like my games hard ;)
Image

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 10393
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by ssilk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 am

If you need it longer (which is eventually useful later, if you plan, while waiting for enough resources) they can surely add something, which is able to refresh the ghost buildings, so that they don't disappear. But that needs this building and energy...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by RawCode » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:44 pm

game is very grindy and very slow, 5 minutes is not viable for current game pacing.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by Gammro » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:54 pm

How can you say that before the update is even released? I wouldn't mind it being changeable(either via mods or a menu option). But to say it's too short before you've even had the chance to try it is just weird.
Ignore this

askovdk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Friday Facts #10

Post by askovdk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:05 pm

The amazon drone video already seems viral, but if you haven't seen it yet, then it is very 'Factorio logistic robot'-ish. :-)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ry-service

Post Reply

Return to “News”