Friday Facts #101 - The players are real people

Regular reports on Factorio development.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #101 - The players are real people

Post by irbork »

They do not do proper job in EU. My carrot was not straight enough to be tasty today :twisted:

mtadd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mtadd »

That EU Creative Media Project reminds of the Project for the Arts here in the US where small entertainment companies and non-profits (i.e. theater productions, music ensembles) can get government grants to subsidize the cost of the art. I don't think there's anything wrong about helping the arts, but it seems to me that commerically successful companies are not who these sorts of government projects are intended. There should be a stipulation in the clause in such grants that any proceeds from the sale of derivative works supported by these grants should go toward reinvestment into other similarly supported projects.
Last edited by mtadd on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

uhm thanks for the share, guess who I wont be supporting this month in game buys, add that to the list of EA type publishers I won't be buying games from.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

TRANSISTOR! Yeah, definitely looks better for starting tier electronics.
The other things mostly look like things that exist in the game, so are self explanitory, My only real question:
What is the 4th one?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

im guessing number 4 is an engine unit

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

4th one would fit for Automobilism for me.

As for the games and donations - if I understand correctly you can apply for this and then they select. That would be like any other EU donation for projects. Looks a bit strange for sure.

XartaX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by XartaX »

Whoa relax on the crazy. Just keep making your kickass game :)

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

I see a number of weapond not in the game. new weapons?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

kinnom wrote:I see a number of weapond not in the game. new weapons?
Yeah. The blue:ish one looks like a lazer gun.

We getting laser rifles? Oh, please say we're getting laser rifles! :o

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

CD Projekt RED? That's an incredibly crappy company. Quality of the games aside, behind scenes it's a rotten firm. I'd rather scrub toilets than go work there if I had the chance.

Why? Imagine everything wrong your employer could do. Apparetly, that's what it's like there. Crunch, hostility from management, low wages, no days off, not even on holidays. See for yourself

Not only players, but also developers are real people. Amazing how we all tend to forget.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

The way to slavery

I wanted to avoid politics in this blog, but as this is relevant to computer games I had to proceed.

There is a report of the EU called Creative Europe - Media. It states that they basically took 3.2 million euro (stolen from other people through taxes), and they just gave the money to certain game companies of their choice.

Just stop for a while and think what does it mean.
They took money from a small studio like us, and they just gave it to some big game studio (CD Project) to support the creation of DLC for their franchise Witcher 3.
From what I have read, they mainly wanted to support games with a lot of story telling. This means, that they think, that they know what is best for us better than we do. They decide for us what kind of game should we play, what movies are worthy, what art is worth support. They decide what kind of food should be supported and what kind shouldn't be. They put quotas of production because they know better how much is enough. The list goes on, and it is all getting worse every year and if we let it go like this for another 20 years, we are all going to be just slaves.
I would like to state, that Wube software never took this kind of dirty money, and we are certainly not planning to do so in the future.
Dang, I had no idea the EU doing that. They didn't get the message that central planning was a bad way to structure the economy back in 1991 with the fall of the USSR? USA based game companies certainly don't receive (nor need) taxpayer money.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Lies I am an android sent to this barren wasteland to make the planet habitable by human populations.

woytaz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by woytaz »

I wanted to avoid politics in this blog
Please do. Whether I agree, disagree or don't care about those grants and how they're awarded is irrelevant - I read FFF because it's focused on Factorio, its development, technical stuff etc. From my experience topics like that only result in massive flame wars and lots of shit flying towards the devs.

Other than that, I love Factorio and can't wait to see what more is going to be added! You guys are great and I hope to see Factorio in Top 1 sellers on Steam once it launches there :)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I think it's an important message to convey, but I'd keep it out of FFF also. You can make a separate blog article for it, no? And we can discuss in off-topic.

You make yourself heard either way, and we get more coherent discussions. This way we're kind of jumping between politics and tech icons.

Amaror
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Amaror »

Wow, lots of drama in this one apparently.
"They stole your money and gave it to the rich guys." Wow. That depiction of the events sounds a lot like the stuff american republicans would rant about.
As far as i know you have to apply for grants like this, did you not do this? It sounds like your very salty that CDPR got money and you didn't. And don't get me wrong, i would agree that a small company like yours deserves grants like this more than a big studio which just released one of the best selling games of the year. That being said, ranting about it in a developers blog will hardly change that and it makes you look really petty, exspecially with you dramatizing the events like this. I am not a fan of this one. No matter how upset you are, please keep your political rants out of your developer diaries.

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MalContentFL »

I see a 2 new guns! Does this mean we get the railgun in the game now?! Or did I miss seeing it. But what is the second one? It looks like an AK with a giant suppressor. I'm looking forward to new content.

I really like the new icons. Good work!

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

"Wonder Bunny - MyPet" got 47.8k, Factorio 0

How is that not fair?

Work harder, there are some terrible games on that list that will need your support!

"Bushy Tail" - 60k - Very generous of you! Now quit your "ranting" and get back to work comrade.

"The Witcher"? Never heard of it :D

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Amaror wrote:Wow, lots of drama in this one apparently.
"They stole your money and gave it to the rich guys." Wow. That depiction of the events sounds a lot like the stuff american republicans would rant about.
As far as i know you have to apply for grants like this, did you not do this? It sounds like your very salty that CDPR got money and you didn't. And don't get me wrong, i would agree that a small company like yours deserves grants like this more than a big studio which just released one of the best selling games of the year. That being said, ranting about it in a developers blog will hardly change that and it makes you look really petty, exspecially with you dramatizing the events like this. I am not a fan of this one. No matter how upset you are, please keep your political rants out of your developer diaries.
It does reek euroscepticism a bit. That's far beyond "they got money we did not." That said, I can't blame them, even though I'm an optimist on the matter and I still believe in EU.

To explain a bit, you see, chaps from Brussels meddle with stuff they really shouldn't. Kovarex put it the way most people do.
They decide for us what kind of game should we play, what movies are worthy, what art is worth support. They decide what kind of food should be supported and what kind shouldn't be. They put quotas of production because they know better how much is enough. The list goes on, and it is all getting worse every year and if we let it go like this for another 20 years, we are all going to be just slaves.
Simply put, EU is slowly turning totalitarian, that is the whole message.

I don't disagree per-se, but... Eeeech I'm a fatalist. I just believe people will always find a way to allow as many people to comfortably sit on their lazy asses rather than just a select few on the top, that's how human history works. I just hope I'll make it out okay. As for EU - it's not running properly at the moment, but it should definitely not disband, not even if it comes to worst. That would be the beginning of the end. That's my whole take. The details, I don't care about.

But yes. Taking tax money and giving it to game companies on their own accord, that has nothing to do with fair play. We shouldn't stand for that, not only as gamers, but also as EU citizens.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Amaror wrote:Wow, lots of drama in this one apparently.
No, it wasn't the point at all. As I state, I would not take the money even if I could.
And yes I don't plan to have more political rants, you don't need to be afraid.

Return to “News”