Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure

Regular reports on Factorio development.
husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure

Post by husnikadam »

quaatal wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:33 pm
...It also doesn't help that both of those planets are completely lifeless and devoid of risk.
I would be quite certain, that at least Vulcanus has enemies, which are not revealed yet. Lifeless Fulgora may be possible as storms posses quite high environmental risk already, but I wouldn't be surprised, if there were enemies too

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

FasterJump wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:39 pm
If we can have 5 module slots (not to mention 50% native productivity bonus), does it means that an infinite production loop is possible with recyclers?
No, recyclers return only 25% of the input resources and productivity in buildings* is capped at 300% max, so no positive feedback loop is possible. (*possibly except miners f.e.)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

DeadMG wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:30 pm
Um, does this mean that UPS usage from distinct electric networks will be fixed? Because this sounds like it would destroy perfomance in 1.1.
akxcv wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:39 pm
I am also interested in hearing if this issue will be resolved.
It has been fixed in 2.0

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

I've read some comments criticizing the planet craft chain and I very much feel like once they try the expansion, they will like it. I believe the craft chains will be quite simple, much simpler than in other mods and smaller than at Nauvis. You will likely need to setup:
  1. feedback recycler loop to dump all unnecessary items
  2. main sorting and recycling area with scrap as input and raw/intermediate resources as output. It would be a Fulgora equvivalent of furnace area
  3. crafting area to create more advanced items, just as at Nauvis
Do trains survive lightning strikes? Rails have been explicitely mentined as immune, if trains are vulnerable to lightnings, that would be quite upsetting. Unless there would be some mechanic to prevent trains from departing at nights

Bots getting struck by bolts, very painful thought, poor beings

gorbag
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gorbag »

I really like how you turn an initial negative (lightning) into an eventual positive. It makes me wonder if you might do the same thing with the bugs on Nauvis! That would make it more of a balancing act between wiping out the creatures and wanting to preserve them for their eventual benefits (and so try to fence them in rather than annihilate them).

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

Tooster wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:41 pm
- In the lower right, the belts seem to be passing from one island to another over the moat and oily-mud. Does it mean that they can be placed underneath the plateau, or is this some kind of new, elevated/floating belt kind of thing?
It is mentioned in the post, that some areas are landfilled. Fulgora landfill will be quite a late game tech though

Anima117
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Anima117 »

Once again, I am quite hyped to get my hands on the expansion. However I do see a pattern being put in place.

Each of the two revealed planets have a "post-game utility". Vulcanus will be an infinite supply of stone, iron and copper. Fulgora will be an infinite supply of oil. From my understanding, this system is put in place both so the gameplay doesn't repeat itself, and as an actual use for the planet once you're "done" with it (Lets be honest, you're never really done with it, the factory must grow). So I do wonder what the other two planets will offer, since I am guessing each of them will have a particular ressource.

Either way, building up a factory based on recycling while dealing with storms should be an interesting challenge. Plus more reasons to use the train system is a big yes for me.

Terry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Terry »

Sound cool!

Seems like the most complicated problem here is to automate the scrapping of unneeded materials. Would be nice to have warehouses and circuit network options to read out what percentage they are filled. Or maybe there are other solutions I have not thought of.

Just noticed that scrappers emit different colored smoke depending on what they scrap.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

With all those awesome terrain changes at these planets, will there be a slight terrain generation improvement at Nauvis? I feel like the Nauvis biomes are very similar, ores generate independently on biomes and the planet suddenly feels a bit boring.

Nauvis could use a bit of the "large resourceless plateaus" and "rocky and foresty areas with rich resources"

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

Woah, that blew my mind. I love the whole concept of the planet!
Please consider english is not my native language.

zhonbi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zhonbi »

For the spaghetti haters, and the quality haters...

It's important to shake-up gameplay with DLC. I've played Factorio for over 2,000 hours, and no matter how wonderful the base game was, it eventually got stale. Changing core mechanics, even if you personally are not fond of all the changes, can help alleviate this potential burnout. The devs have stated several times they felt their initial planet designs were too similar to Nauvis. They didn't want a simple aesthetics reskin to each planet, and have tried to make the actual game mechanics feel distinct. If you just want Factorio + new biomes/resources, there already exists several high-profile mods you can use: Space Exploration, Krastorio, Alien Biomes, Angel's mods, etc. No shade to the mod makers or Wube developers. These are all humans who love Factorio, and just want a little more spice then vanilla offered (most of whom are updating for free ;) )

It is inevitable that their shaking up of mechanics is going to rub some players the wrong way. Factorio is for many - myself included - a comfort game. People are very attached to their unique & distinctive playstyle, and are resistant to changing their ways. I've watched several dozen people stream Factorio on twitch and no two player's worlds looked remotely similar. Again, this is a comfort game for them, and there is nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, in the necessity of changing gameplay that comes with adding DLC, some of these player's rituals are going to be disturbed.

Beyond the randomness of the quality mechanic (and now scrap processing), the most common gripe I see is space constraints. Cliffs, lava, plateaus, etc. You're not mislead in feeling, well...confined by this mechanic. You are meant to. It's meant to challenge your usual spacious builds into something more fitted to the environment. You'll need to be a bit craftier with your space! While I can't change your frustrations, I would encourage you to at least give it a fair chance, and, the devs have been careful to note that you can landfill everything and remove every obstacle. It's a privilege that - when compared to Nauvis - might come...later then you'd like. If that does genuinely frustrate you, I'm sorry; you'll have to exercise some patience.

As always, please remember while your frustrations are valid, the developers are human beings, and you are not entitled to slander or harass them (or other players). My father once told me, "while anger can be scary, it's also a sign that you're invested...that you care. Anger is not your enemy, it's telling you something is going wrong. You have to think about what's wrong, and then how to diffuse yourself." We are all here to play this beautiful game, and - hopefully - enjoy the hell out of the 2.0 release :)

Thank you Wube for all your hard work, and thank you for anyone who bothered reading this long post :D
P.S. where is my heart emote?? <3

rebelyrocks
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rebelyrocks »

Superconductors and a train dependent planet makes me wonder if maybe we are getting... BULLET TRAINS!? Perhaps on floating superconductor rails!?
Just a cool thought. Not such what that would bring to the game that is different though.

Very hype!

faik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by faik »

It is really hard to differentiate the machines from the scraps. They look exactly like broken machines.
I think mining scrap really is an interesting idea, so I hope it can be improved.

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

insane .. love it!

Upserter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Upserter »

The fact that ancient alien scrap contains circuits identical to and compatible with the engineer's tech suggests that the engineer spent a long time in hypersleep on the way to Nauvis, and is actually discovering the ruins of his own civilization.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

there are already 3 tires of modules, and pretty quickly in the game everyone ignores tire 1 and tier 2 (or at least i do) , or people like me directly aims at tier 3 directly.
Tier 1 and 2 modules are pretty much only there to reach tier 3.

now there are 5 quality levels ... ?? .. do we really need 5.. ???. I think people will soon ignore lower quality levels .. and it is only a mean to reach to the highest quality level.
i would rather wait and make the best , rather than figuring to make use of lower tier modules and lower quality levels .. to me this becomes like work rather than a game ..
soon there will be more icons / items that we do not even care about in the list ..

I suppose 3 quality levels are enough .. each with notable benefits and worth using in builds ..
or
only one tier module which gets better with quality .. or something ..
request to re consider ..

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Does it means, Fulgora is safe ?
No defensive structure needed ?
No massive worms swimming in the sand ? :|

Panzerknacker
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

Hyped AF again after this one!!

Frantic Fanatic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Frantic Fanatic »

Anima117 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:32 pm
Each of the two revealed planets have a "post-game utility". Vulcanus will be an infinite supply of stone, iron and copper. Fulgora will be an infinite supply of oil. From my understanding, this system is put in place both so the gameplay doesn't repeat itself, and as an actual use for the planet once you're "done" with it (Lets be honest, you're never really done with it, the factory must grow). So I do wonder what the other two planets will offer, since I am guessing each of them will have a particular ressource.
Nice catch. That probably is the plan to have all the resources for endless gameplay without having to have an infinite-sized planet.

ChefOfRamen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ChefOfRamen »

Not super fond of requiring elevated rails to cross the islands, since those are locked behind production science. I assumed you would just be able to concrete over the tar.

I probably won't be going to Fulgora first, but I'll definitely be exporting a lot of advanced circuits from the planet, since those are normally really annoying to produce.
DeadMG wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:30 pm
Um, does this mean that UPS usage from distinct electric networks will be fixed? Because this sounds like it would destroy perfomance in 1.1.
At the point that you would actually have to start worrying about UPS, you'll have unlocked landfill for the oil-sand that will let you connect your power grids.

Return to “News”