Friday Facts #397 - Factoriopedia

Regular reports on Factorio development.
canisin
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #397 - Factoriopedia

Post by canisin »

Great addition!

One little piece of feedback: I noticed that the title for the power pole has a tiny 2x in front of it. This probably means that the recipe produces 2 items for the given inputs. Placing this information in the title makes it rather easy to miss. This was already a bit of a problem for me in the vanilla tooltips, too.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Very cool, although I agree with the previous commenter, that "unlocked by" is an information I look up once, and is the least important when looking up stuff. Perhaps it could be further down in the entry?
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

zhonbi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zhonbi »

Wonderful update and feature! That foundry is one big spendy boi, but I'm glad. Nice to have big items to build towards, esp infrastructure.

One little side note, saying "mountainous volcanoes" is a bit redundant, for all volcanoes are mountains. It's like saying "wet water", or "tall giant". An adjective like "towering volcanoes" or "looming volcanoes" might be better~

alefu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by alefu »

tolomea wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm
You didn't mention locked / unlocked state at all.

I presume in search results, used by, alt recipes etc you see all recipes, it'd be nice if locked stuff was grey'd out and pushed to the end.

Also on locked items the tech to unlock is the most important thing. But on unlocked ones it's the least, so maybe it should jump to the bottom.
This is an important point. My immediate concern when reading this fff was that you will hide undiscovered items to avoid spoilers for new players. But this will make this tool way less useful for any later playthroughs. So I hope you have a setting for this?

Zomis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zomis »

Most of this sounds great, but I'd also like to request some other features:

Have the possibility for mods to add content to a Factoriopedia page, for example a button that links to a search mod to search for this item.

Or add content to the Factoriopedia page about how many of that item has been produced and consumed recently.

I have worked on implementing some of these functions in my mod "Foofle" https://mods.factorio.com/mod/foofle where I have currently integrated:

- Train Log mod (show train deliveries of item/fluid) https://mods.factorio.com/mod/train-log
- Factory Search mod (perform a search of item/entity) https://mods.factorio.com/mod/FactorySearch
- FNEI mod (link to usage or production)
- Produced and consumed items over time

(Some of these changes might only exist in my local development version of Foofle)

Overall I'd love to see more of the Foofle functionality built in into Factorio.

Also, about the list of recipes and usages, have you considered the scenario for e.g. Pyanodons mods where you have 6000+ recipes in the list?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

zhonbi wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:09 pm
One little side note, saying "mountainous volcanoes" is a bit redundant, for all volcanoes are mountains. It's like saying "wet water", or "tall giant". An adjective like "towering volcanoes" or "looming volcanoes" might be better~
No.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano wrote:A volcano is a rupture in the crust of a planetary-mass object, such as Earth, that allows hot lava, volcanic ash, and gases to escape from a magma chamber below the surface.

On Earth, volcanoes are most often found where tectonic plates are diverging or converging, and because most of Earth's plate boundaries are underwater, most volcanoes are found underwater.

yagors2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yagors2 »

Stringweasel wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:15 pm
It might be nice to move "Unlocked By" to the bottom. This will be especially useful for mods that add a few more buildings/items, and especially for overhaul mods with many items/buildings.
Agreed +1!

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

A very useful and helpful addition.

Some remarks from my side.

The Unlocked by area shows which science packs are required for research. Does it also show how many there are and what the time index is? And does the background color indicate whether unlocking has already taken place (green) or not (red)?

And I noticed something else about the unlocked by in the screenshots. The Foundry is unlocked by itself. Have I misunderstood something or is this a mistake?

I agree with other posters about the abbreviations. The usual abbreviations for units should be used and not just individual letters (example in FFF Steel furnance - Pullution 4/m in the screenshot instead of 4/min).
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

dmsilev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dmsilev »

Small power poles will now be unlocked by Electronics? So will something be changing about how the first couple of research items be handled? Because without any sort of power poles, right now it's kind of difficult to run the labs....

I guess I could see hand "crafted" research being a thing, with labs also arriving at Electronics to enable automation of research.

TBC_x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TBC_x »

So does Factoriopedia support uncommon cases like fuel byproducts? Is there support for scripted actions like performing a ritual that is not a part of recipe system, for example delivering specific items to selected chests to produce an item in a scenario? The Factoriopedia entry (or link) would have to be created by a script at runtime. Ideally hidden until it becomes relevant or to prevent a spoiler. I don't even know whether there is a way to hide technology (or an entire branch) in the tech tree until prerequisites are researched or available.

Terrahertz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Terrahertz »

dmsilev wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:55 pm
Small power poles will now be unlocked by Electronics? So will something be changing about how the first couple of research items be handled? Because without any sort of power poles, right now it's kind of difficult to run the labs....

I guess I could see hand "crafted" research being a thing, with labs also arriving at Electronics to enable automation of research.
As of now, you need to craft 10 Copper Plates to unlock Electronics, see FFF-376

KevinInc50
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KevinInc50 »

I love this new feature! I believe an essential part of tools like this is to have a space where you can save recipes on the side. When you're trying to automate something, you'll probably have to check back to the tab multiple times, so it would be good to have a way to save recipes to return to them easily. :D

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

Great, but please replace the RGP-terms Epic and Legendary. Thank you very much!
Last edited by Usul on Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I already appreciate the factoriopedia ! From all that time using FNEI, i am convinced it's a good thing for the game to have such functionnalities in the base game.
It's not quite a factory planner or helmod which i considered a possibility, instead the presented feature doesn't require any math to be useful and i think will be very accessible.

I had not spotted the book icon on the mentionned FFF, but i spotted a receipe for concrete made in the foundry, which is new , there is another receipe i can't recognize that doesn't seem to be tungsten carbide which is also new i think , and one receipe that seem to mix iron and copper , and i think the bottom of that picture would have shown some ennemies underneath the asteroids.

Also i think given how the evolution factor is presented "per planet" it represent a change compared to current factorio where the evolution factor is global, would be easy to check if factoriopedia was there already :D

morse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by morse »

Now you should add some version of the calculator, like Helmod, or the online one, which shows the resource flow diagram (which is very helpful).

Merssedes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Merssedes »

One problem: Alt+LMB will be unusable on Linux because it's binded to "reposition window". Not sure is it possible to override... Alt+RMB also have binding for window resizes.

cronjob
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cronjob »

Merssedes wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:17 pm
One problem: Alt+LMB will be unusable on Linux because it's binded to "reposition window". Not sure is it possible to override... Alt+RMB also have binding for window resizes.
Sounds like this is something specific to your window manager, not Linux as a whole. :) In my case I have those same actions bound using the meta (Windows) key which generally shouldn't collide with any other shortcuts.

Merssedes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Merssedes »

cronjob wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:36 pm
Merssedes wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:17 pm
Sounds like this is something specific to your window manager, not Linux as a whole. :) In my case I have those same actions bound using the meta (Windows) key which generally shouldn't collide with any other shortcuts.
It's Linux Mint default bindings. I'll need to check Ubuntu later.

Shuisman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shuisman »

Since when does a substation have a Rocket capacity ?
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 15.53.56.png
Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 15.53.56.png (229.03 KiB) Viewed 1921 times

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Shuisman wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:54 pm
Since when does a substation have a Rocket capacity ?
I think it refers to the weight of the item, which is used as a limitation of how many a rocket can carry :

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-382

Return to β€œNews”